Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
In all fairness, I hate the Patriots and my bias against them isn't something I hide. I don't consider the Patriots the greatest dynasty ever in the NFL, I consider them the longest lasting dynasty.

The Patriots have won 5 superbowls since 2000. They won those 5 by a combined total of 19 points. They lost 3 by a combined 17 points. So they have won just over half of their appearances, and win or lose each game has gone down to late in the 4th quarter, or OT.

The 49ers never lost a superbowl and never allowed more than 16 points in a superbowl, New England has never held a team to 16 or fewer points in a superbowl in 8 appearances. Cowboys won 3 superbowls in 4 years and every playoff victory they won by 10 points or more. Both the 49ers and Cowboys won at least 1 superbowl in very dominant fashion, blowing their opponent out so bad they looked like they were playing a college team.

New England has the longest running dynasty, but they have never dominated their opponent in the superbowl and they have lost 3, hopefully 4 coming this year.
This is, frankly, a dumb argument.

What it does is asserts that it's more impressive to miss going to the Super Bowl entirely than it is to go to the Super Bowl and lose. By that logic, the Denver Broncos were the worst franchise of the 1980s, because they lost more Super Bowls than any other team that decade. Which is, of course, ludicrous - the Broncos, despite not winning any titles, had a great run in the latter '80s and were one of the top five or six teams int he league during that stretch. They were better than the Seahawks and the Browns and the Vikings and the Jets and the Cardinals and the Buccaneers and many other teams who managed not to lose any Super Bowls during that time (they didn't lose any Super Bowls then because they sucked and couldn't get anywhere near a Super Bowl without paying for admission).

Getting to the Super Bowl and losing (like the Patriots last year, for example) is more impressive than having a great regular season and then laying an egg and getting bounced in the first round (like the 49ers in 1987, for example).

I mean, no one is delusional enough to think that Eli is better than Peyton because of his Perfect Super Bowl record. Or maybe you do - because that logic is exactly what you're peddling here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Strange comment. Everyone knows where Texas is, AND New England.

It was sarcasm, referring to the Cowboys fans around the Country that have absolutely no connection to Texas at all.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
It was sarcasm, referring to the Cowboys fans around the Country that have absolutely no connection to Texas at all.
Why does someone have to have a connection to the state of the team? Seriously? You think that? My gosh. That's silly.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Strange comment. Everyone knows where Texas is, AND New England.
You joke, but...

Years ago I had a girlfriend who thought New England was a state. The Patriots branding was her rationale for believing this. I wish I was making this up.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:16 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
This post makes no sense. You think Bills, Jets and Dolphins fans are going to miss the Patriots winning 10 straight division titles or 16 of the last 18?

We might not ever see another dynasty like the Patriots but we will still have dynasty's.
Beating this Patriots dynasty should be the goal of the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans. Not seeing them end.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:19 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
This is the first time since 2002 that these two teams played in the super bowl with the only difference is that the Rams were known as the ST. LOUIS Rams

Old 01-21-2019, 06:27 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
In all fairness, I hate the Patriots and my bias against them isn't something I hide. I don't consider the Patriots the greatest dynasty ever in the NFL, I consider them the longest lasting dynasty.

The Patriots have won 5 superbowls since 2000. They won those 5 by a combined total of 19 points. They lost 3 by a combined 17 points. So they have won just over half of their appearances, and win or lose each game has gone down to late in the 4th quarter, or OT.

The 49ers never lost a superbowl and never allowed more than 16 points in a superbowl, New England has never held a team to 16 or fewer points in a superbowl in 8 appearances. Cowboys won 3 superbowls in 4 years and every playoff victory they won by 10 points or more. Both the 49ers and Cowboys won at least 1 superbowl in very dominant fashion, blowing their opponent out so bad they looked like they were playing a college team.

New England has the longest running dynasty, but they have never dominated their opponent in the superbowl and they have lost 3, hopefully 4 coming this year.
The 49ers of the 80's didn't have to say goodbye to several of their star players after every SB win, the Patriots have.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:39 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Why does someone have to have a connection to the state of the team? Seriously? You think that? My gosh. That's silly.

Not silly at all, it's called fraud and bandwagon.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:

This post makes sense and you have a convincing argument that the Patriots aren't the most dominant dynasty of all time...

However, the length of their dynasty is what puts then on another level. Since 2001, they've never gone more than four years without playing in a Super Bowl. 9 trips in 18 years. That's a different model of consistency than anyone could fathom...

But again, I do think it's a fair point to challenge how dominant they've been relative to other dynasties...

Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Exactly. My favorite part of this great nation is New England. My least favorite team is the Patriots.
I live near Tampa. I am not a fan of the pirates here. MY FINZ are from Miami, which is NOT one of my favorite places.

Go Figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football