Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times

Advertisements

The eight inductees are:

Tony Gonzales
Ed Reed
Champ Bailey
Kevin Mowae
Ty Law
Johnny Robinson (Veterans Committee)

Gil Brandt and Pat Bowlen go in regarding administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 04:49 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
As a Patriots fan really happy to see Ty Law get in.

Ed Reed and Tony Gonzales were "locks" to me, so not really that surprised.

Very happy to see Gil Brandt get in for all he's done for the game.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:33 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,889 times
First cutdown from 15 to 10 eliminated Tom Flores, Don Coryell, Isaac Bruce, John Lynch, and Richard Seymour.

Second cutdown from 10 to 5 eliminated Edgerrin James, Steve Atwater, Tony Boselli, Steve Hutchinson, and Alan Faneca.

Mostly a good class. Really happy for Johnny Robinson, who is extremely deserving. Gil Brandt is a reasonable GM type choice. Pat Bowlen is probably the weakest electee, but he’s at least better than Eddie DeBartolo or Charles Bidwill. At least they’re all still alive to enjoy the moment.

For me, all the regular candidates were very deserving.

Of those who missed, am on the fence with Coryell and not at all taken with Flores. All the players are reasonable choices to varying degrees.

Surprised that Mawae was the OL who broke out of the pack and that Atwater leapfrogged Lynch, who has been a finalist several more times. But I’m fine with the latter development, since Atwater’s eligibility runs out in 2024 and Lynch’s in 2032.

The only new viable HoF option next year is Troy Polamalu. Early guess at next year’s regular class: Polamalu, James, Atwater, Hutchinson, Boselli.

Good luck figuring out who the two Seniors will be next year. The Contributor options are thinning out, with Art McNally, Robert Kraft, Steve Sabol, and George Young the best of the likely options. The first two are still alive, so it would be good to see one of them get the nod, preferably McNally as he’s older.

Congratulations to all who got in!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:32 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,889 times
Forgot: Patrick Willis and Reggie Wayne will also be first time eligible next year along with Troy Polamalu, though I think only the last will be first ballot. All three should make it in eventually, though.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
Willis was a first ballot talent guy who didn't play long enough. Because of that I think he should have to wait a while.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Congrats to all, but most particularly to Mr. Bowlen.

As a Broncos fan, also pleased to see Champ Bailey on that list.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,234,079 times
Really happy to see Ty Law get in after being finalist the past 2 years.

No qualms with any of the inductees I can't see how anyone could begrudge the choices this year.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:23 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Can't understand why Jeff Bostic hs not been enshrined.

"
Washington Redskins center

Bostic was a member of the Washington Redskins from 1980 to 1993, helping them win Super Bowls XVII, XXII and XXVI and becoming the only Clemson player to play for three Super Bowl Championship teams. He was also named one of the 70 greatest players in Redskins history.[2] Bostic was one of "The Hogs", the Redskins' famed offensive line which also included guards Russ Grimm and Mark May, tackles Joe Jacoby and George Starke, and a few other new additions over the years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bostic

Anybody who knows about football know that without a line you can't pass OR run.The center is the anchor for the line.

Hoe may other centers have 3 Super bowl rings?

Old 02-09-2019, 12:42 PM

76 posts, read 48,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Can't understand why Jeff Bostic hs not been enshrined.

"
Washington Redskins center

Bostic was a member of the Washington Redskins from 1980 to 1993, helping them win Super Bowls XVII, XXII and XXVI and becoming the only Clemson player to play for three Super Bowl Championship teams. He was also named one of the 70 greatest players in Redskins history.[2] Bostic was one of "The Hogs", the Redskins' famed offensive line which also included guards Russ Grimm and Mark May, tackles Joe Jacoby and George Starke, and a few other new additions over the years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bostic

Anybody who knows about football know that without a line you can't pass OR run.The center is the anchor for the line.

Hoe may other centers have 3 Super bowl rings?
Yeah, he should be in and same for James Marshall, Vikings defensive end

Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,629,286 times
I don't begrudge any inductees but I'm still waiting for Leroy Butler, he's been a semi finalist and should get in.

Butler was named to the NFL’s 1990s All-Decade team and played in more games (181) than any defensive back in Green Bay history. Butler was voted All-Pro by the Associated Press four times. Butler played in two Super Bowls and is tied for fourth in team history with 38 career interceptions. Butler also finished his career with 20 ½ sacks, 13 forced fumbles and 10 recovered fumbles.

Butler’s finest year may have come in 1996, when the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI. That season he finished second on the team in sacks (6.5), had five interceptions and spearheaded the NFL’s top-ranked defense. “That’s one of the best years I’ve ever seen a safety have,” Wolf said. Favre and defensive end Reggie White are the two players from those great Green Bay teams of the 1990s enshrined in the Hall. Butler is the next-best candidate.

I know the HOF is light on the Safety and DB position but Butler was right up there, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football