Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Super Bowl LIII the worse Super Bowl you’ve ever watched?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 AM

32,224 posts, read 34,987,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
No.

I like defense. But then, the best baseball game I ever watched was a 1-0, 10 inning game.

It probably sucked for the football-ADD crowd. You know, the type who think that nearly 1000 combined yards passing and the complete and utter inability of any DB to cover anyone at all on the field (see; Super Bowl LII) is the pinnacle of the sport.

I feel sorry for them.
These types of comments are annoying. Especially coming from people who probably don't even bother to watch film after the games are over. If you're going to say the defense is high quality, then you need to explain why you believe that is the case by discussing schemes and alignment rather than relying on the score alone as a proxy.

The only point of these types of posts is to make oneself feel more enlightened than the Average Joe who only wants points, points and more points. But a lot of people spend time reading and listening to commentary from Inside the Pylon, Sam Gold, Murf Baldwin, Matt Wyatt, etc. You can't assume people can't appreciate defense simply because they disagree with one's take on this game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
That's your call and that's fine. We all watch games differently.

Smash mouth is more than handoffs. It's about line play. It was brutal on both sides of the ball. And I personally felt that thinking that every snap could be a difference maker made the game intriguing to me. The game felt that way from the beginning - it was who would dominate the line would win. Call me biased because I'm a Pats fan. So be it.
You do realize that it's always brutal in the trenches, right? Those linemen don't give themselves CTE.

And "old school smashmouth" is exactly that: handoffs. Perhaps you should have been more precise in your use of language. But the fact of the matter is that the Rams weren't playing a throwback style of football. They were trying to execute a modern-day, pass heavy attack and failed abysmally. I mean, Gurley only got 10 carries last night. The Patriots spent a good chunk of the game in Cover 4. What part of "smashmouth football" requires 7 defensive backs on the field?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 AM

Here's how you know Goff was complete trash. Just look at the first play in the diagrams below.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/sup...ared-goff-rams

This is Cover 1. How do we know it's Cover 1? There's a single high safety and you know everyone is manned up since #24 follows #12 across the formation. An easy way to beat this is with a "rub," or a pick, and in this case #83 is "rubbing" the cornerback to spring #12 open (who was already in motion). Perfect play call to beat the coverage for an easy 4 yard-pick up and a first down. I guess everyone has bad games, but bad games by good QBs typically involve bad/missed throws rather than a complete failure to recognize the purpose of the play design.

I guess some people might see the pass get broken up and say "Wow! Great coverage!" But coverage tends to look better when you make the wrong decision with the football and throw it to a receiver with 2 defenders around him.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,215,496 times
It was the best Super Bowl I've ever seen and a splendid performance by the best team/coach and quarterback that has ever existed in the sport. We are still, today (Tuesday), celebrating and the excitement is still all there!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM

13,709 posts, read 20,876,700 times
Much better than a blowout.

Had it been a regular season game, a lot of people would be raving about a fine defensive slugfest between the old guard and the scrappy newcomers.

But most want the Super Bowl to be full of razzle dazzle and a 31-30 final score. Viewing rooms usually contain a mixture of true fans and those who are watching their one game of the year. Not a good mix.

And the halftime hype and all the grandiose commercials flow better with a high scoring game. That become oxymoronic with a slow, but intense game.

Both defenses were stellar. It was anybody's game, but the better coach and QB proved they are just that. If you wanted NE, I imagine the rush was incredible when they prevailed.

New England's punter should have won the MVP.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,326,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You do realize that it's always brutal in the trenches, right? Those linemen don't give themselves CTE.

And "old school smashmouth" is exactly that: handoffs. Perhaps you should have been more precise in your use of language. But the fact of the matter is that the Rams weren't playing a throwback style of football. They were trying to execute a modern-day, pass heavy attack and failed abysmally. I mean, Gurley only got 10 carries last night. The Patriots spent a good chunk of the game in Cover 4. What part of "smashmouth football" requires 7 defensive backs on the field?
The game has changed. So I wasn't clear. Smash mouth is different, and in today's game it comes from the line IMHO. The pass happy attack failed because the Pats defense "smashed" the line in were in Goff's grille all day for 60-minutes. They hit hard and often. That's modern day smash mouth to me. When a score is 13-3 in this day and age with all of the offense and the fouls built for offense, it takes the new fangled smash mouth to keep a score so low.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,727,900 times
Superbore.

As one source quipped, it was a battle to see who got to go to the White House. The Pats lost that one.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:03 AM

125 posts, read 228,790 times
Great defensive battle. Both teams had excellent defensive schemes and it showed in the final score. The difference was Brady's huge edge in experience, as he was able to do enough to earn the W. What is amazing to me is that there was only one play in the red zone the entire game. DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The game has changed. So I wasn't clear. Smash mouth is different, and in today's game it comes from the line IMHO. The pass happy attack failed because the Pats defense "smashed" the line in were in Goff's grille all day for 60-minutes. They hit hard and often. That's modern day smash mouth to me. When a score is 13-3 in this day and age with all of the offense and the fouls built for offense, it takes the new fangled smash mouth to keep a score so low.
That's your quirky definition of smashmouth. "Smashmouth spread," or "modern" smashmouth, is a derivative of college football and relies on a lot of inside zone and counter running.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:49 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,655,511 times
I feel like the Chargers vs. 49ers super bowl was pretty bad. Wasn't that one over by the end of the 1st quarter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football