Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:41 AM

7,598 posts, read 6,100,756 times

Advertisements

SO the Draft is done, most of the free agents are signed, some that remain will not be, and the college players who did not get picked have been invited to camps across the league.

So now we have that 2 1/2 almost 3 month LULL in action that Colt and I cannot stand while we wait for summer training camp to open. Which mean Entertainment on here and the other football board to get us through.

SO it is fun to speculate. And that is all this is. A guess. I used to get together a super bowl watching party when I was younger. We used to always pick at the end of the Super Bowl who the next Super Bowl Champs would be. Of course, this would be before the draft, trades, Free Agents, camp injuries etc But it was fun to pick.

SO We wait until AUGUST to make our OFFICIAL predictions

BUT For fun, Right Now, On Paper, Looking at who is playing, drafted, coaching, scheduling and everything else I can see the San Angeles/Homeless Chargers beating the COLTS in the AFC championship game. I can see the BROWNS, PATRIOTS also participating in the Play Offs as well

In the NFC I forsee that Pete Carroll is up to something that I like. In the BATTLE OF THE BIRDS, I see his SEAHAWKS edging out the EAGLES for Super Bowl Trip. I see the COWBOYS VIKINGS and PANTHERS also playing in the playoff rounds

The CATS Most Excited about the Resurgence of the BROWNS, the Cowboys are ALL IN, and the COLTS have everything needed to win. Of course, the Saints, Pesky Red Birds and of course, MY FINZ always get attention here, deserved or not.

The Cat is curious about the JETS and Bill's Buffaloes.
The BUFFALOES had an Excellent Draft, the Jets have a great Roster but are a cursed franchise....something always goes wrong to mess up everything. watching the Patriots slowly unravel, and Gronk come out of retirement in week 11 to save the day will be predicted.

The Cat's other Favorite team, the Steelers, are a hot mess. And this Cat blames the office and the sidelines more than anyone else for it. The RAVENS are probably the best challenge to the Browns, and the Stripey Cats will likely challenge MY FINZ for the first round pick.

But again, this is all likely to change, and it will. That much I guarantee. You CAN bet your Pizza money on something I say being wrong. But that is part of what makes this fun, and makes it more interesting in a way to watch the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 01:06 PM

OK the Cat is back from his (slave) job meaning he gets paid to do something that is not what he'd really like to be doing. (those types of jobs never pay well)

Anyway, when we last left, I was talking about the AFC I think the COLTS have every tool to make it to the AFC Championship. The Texans are on the down slide The Titans maybe a lot better, and the Jaguars, well Free Agency killed them last year so let's see if it fixes them this year.

The Hardest Division to call is the AFC WEST. Sure, the Chiefs are faves and have an outstanding QB, but Lets face it...some of the key elements are gone. And The Broncos have a QB who has won the Super Bowl and still looks like he wants another one. The Raiders? Well Gruden is not to be doubted and he is up to something........But it may take another season to get there. That leaves the Chargers. Everyone except the Cat was high on the Chargers winning outright last year. This year, I think that they may be the team to beat in the AFC.

In the NFC, I am starting with the West. The Seahawks , coached by one of my favorite coaches in all of sports, looks like something is ready to happen. The Rams, decimated from free agency and a loss in the Big Game, will not win that division. Nor will the 49ers, but they are getting better. I am not sold on Garrapalo unless he is wearing a red white and blue uniform. The Pesky Red Birds, fortunately, can only get better.

I get a lot of insight and intel on the Buccaneers because I live close by. The thing that will change this year is the coaching. They have had a long long line of easy pushover coaches, and that is no more. Bruce Arians is a hard nose, and that is going to be a shock for some of the guys on that team. It also might mean making the team competitive. But the Panthers look to have their turn. The Falcons spent way too much$ on one player, not leaving enough for others to support him. The Saints, they Should be good, but then again, they Should have been in the Super Bowl. Which makes this division a toss-up. And the 4 sided coin today landed on the Black Cats, but that will likely change next time the coin is thrown.

I think that the Lions and the Packers will struggle. The Packers have a promising new coach, and he may well win first place, but the Vikings have everything except a good QB. The Lion shave a good QB but little else, and the Bears, a solid defense , with a good draft, just may repeat.

The NFC east should be fun. The Redskins got their QB, they have coaching in place, and the Cowboys and Eagles will challenge for a high seed vs Wild Card Round The Giants also got their QB who is going to be able one day to seamlessly replace Eli without missing a step. They need some help in the supporting cast though.

IF I picked today and again this will change in camp when we see how the coaching, rookies, free agent changes injuries affect everything It would look like this
AFC Wild Card Round
Patriots over Chiefs
Browns over Broncos

Playoff Chargers over Patriots
Colts over Browns

AFC Championship game Chargers over Colts

NFC Wild Card Round
Cowboys over Bears
Panthers over Vikings

Playoff Eagles over Panthers
Seahawks over COwboys

Championship Seahawks over Eagles

Super Bowl Seahawks over Chargers

Old 04-30-2019, 05:40 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,625,862 times
You misspelt Never in your thread title Cat! As in Never Too Early.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,888,434 times
as usual i have high hopes for my cowboys. i think they are getting their act together, and have solidified what they needed to, though they still have weak points, they lack depth at linebacker for instance, and even with the return of witten, they are still weak at tight end as well.

but with a change at OC, if they open up the offense even just a bit more than they did in previous years, i think the cowboys can contend for the NFC championship. we shall see.

on the AFC, i think the raiders are going to be a team to watch. i think they used their draft picks wisely, and i think gruden, having unloaded problem players last season, will have an easier time getting the team inline with his philosophy in how the game should be played, and we may see the raiders contend for a wild card spot thiss season. again we shall see.

as to the rest of the league, the NFC north will be a slug fest again with minnesota and chicago at the top, and green bay and detroit right behind. which team comes out on top will depend on which team stays the healthiest, and has teh best game strategy.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,625,862 times
I'm looking forward to the sophomore seasons of Mayfield, Darnold and Allen. I think all three of these guys take a step up this year and wow us to varying degrees. Recent history has had second year QB's take large leaps and some even play at MVP levels.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM

14,333 posts, read 14,641,732 times
Excellent reads, can't wait! Packers now have to chase Bears and Vikings, which is interesting. Bears fans are hyped but don't count out the Packers! New HC, new staff except Pettine, exciting times, first year won't be easy for LaFleur.

Saw a cute graphic the other day about "delusions of grandeur" was pretty funny, can't copy it. First game will be awesome! Davante Adams, Bakhtiari hope AR goes John Wick on the whole NFC. We'll see.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,888,434 times
if the packers can stay healthy this year, they will be a force to be reckoned with thats for sure.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as usual i have high hopes for my cowboys. i think they are getting their act together, and have solidified what they needed to, though they still have weak points, they lack depth at linebacker for instance, and even with the return of witten, they are still weak at tight end as well.

but with a change at OC, if they open up the offense even just a bit more than they did in previous years, i think the cowboys can contend for the NFC championship. we shall see.

on the AFC, i think the raiders are going to be a team to watch. i think they used their draft picks wisely, and i think gruden, having unloaded problem players last season, will have an easier time getting the team inline with his philosophy in how the game should be played, and we may see the raiders contend for a wild card spot thiss season. again we shall see.

as to the rest of the league, the NFC north will be a slug fest again with minnesota and chicago at the top, and green bay and detroit right behind. which team comes out on top will depend on which team stays the healthiest, and has teh best game strategy.
The Cowboys have the best LB unit in the NFL,depth or not. As long as Sean Lee is upright and on the field, or even on the sidelines as an unpaid assistant coach, All will be OK The problem still will be stopping the long ball over the middle. You are right though, As to your concern Tight End, Witten being a year older and another one removed from playing . They never found the blocking TE they need and would be well served running 2 TE sets with both as receivers .
But I think they will still be better on Offense and with the new OC, who knows, hopefully they will make the NFC East a blast to watch.

I agree with you on Gruden and the Raiders. If I were a team owner, I would have no hesitation hiring Gruden and leaving him to build a team.

SOme of the paid predictolators are saying that the Pack will finish first, but since there are some unknowns we will have to see, Everyone will be gunning for the Bears, they will not have it as easy as last year.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm looking forward to the sophomore seasons of Mayfield, Darnold and Allen. I think all three of these guys take a step up this year and wow us to varying degrees. Recent history has had second year QB's take large leaps and some even play at MVP levels.
Which is why I think the Ravens will be competitive and Your Bufflaoes may slide easily in to compete with Belichick and co. And we are hoping for the BROWNS to be good.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:56 PM

14,333 posts, read 14,641,732 times
They will be if the offense & defense gel together, Aaron says "D" is ahead because they have 2nd year in Pettine's system. Offense is new, he jokes about having to study, doesn't want young guys to show him up on the quizzes.

Right now much talk about Bears and Vikings, which is fine they were better last year. I think overall the NFC is going to be fun to watch this year. It is great when divisions are more competitive, down to the wire, instead of one team in control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football