Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:59 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/andre...ion-under-fire

I totally disagree with what Beuerlein has to say there. Taking a few weeks to think about it.. That would be something of a slap in the face to Brissett. At least with him retiring, Jacoby knows the job is his and can get in the proper mindset.

Sitting there wondering if Luck is going to come back.. and especially if Brissett took them to say a 6-2 record, then Luck decides he's going to com back..
There is no one this earth, aside from a doctor, that can tell a player when they have had enough. Andrew just didn’t want to face another cycle of pain and rehab only to risk more pain. He made the best decision for himself and that is who he answers to.

There was another comment by another analyst that his unwillingness to further play and endure pain is such a Millennial thing. So protecting your health and your ability to participate in raising your family is a millennial thing? I’m millennial as charged then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 03:26 PM

14,283 posts, read 14,514,220 times
Some of these analysts being so critical are over the top rude. No one knows how he feels, what his level of daily pain is, and to make assumptions is wrong. Look at the health of some of the older players, scary. To attach it to an age thing, to try and justify their criticism doesn't make sense, to me reeks of trying to get more publicity, more clicks on the internet.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:37 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,727,124 times
Andrew too good of a QB. If Colts tanked more, they can get better O-line. Everyone builds through the draft. Colts never bad enough because of Luck. Well okay, they recently got Quenton Nelson, and had Anthony Costanzo for a bit woo hoo.

Better Luck to Andrew in the future.

And this aint good for football. When the kids see a guy like Andrew turning away all that money because the injuries are not worth it, will scare more and more further and further away from game.

oh well. I guess soccer is popular for a reason.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I think it was bad timing, he should have announced it on Sunday. 90% of NFL fans would have booed their QB if they found out that he announced his retirement during the actual game.
1. No need to excuse boorish, classless behavior by fans.....

2. Andrew Luck didn't "announce" his retirement in the middle of the game, the information was "leaked",not how it was supposed to come out.

3. I seriously doubt most fans in other cities would have booed a warrior like Luck for saying enough is enough and not wanting to put his body through the wringer any more, not with the serious injuries he has suffered.

4. We are talking about a fan base and ownership group that has been fined for pumping in artificial crowd noise and that actually hangs division "championship" banners. A team that was basically stolen from Baltimore. There is a pattern of poor support/sportsmanship and need to pump up nebulous accomplishments that leads to entitled behavior.

5. I have no doubt that if you put Luck in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Baltimore or host of other more football savvy cities he would not have been booed when news broke, more likely standing ovation from more knowledgeable fans understanding what their QB had been through

Old 08-26-2019, 05:24 PM

17,379 posts, read 14,911,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And this aint good for football. When the kids see a guy like Andrew turning away all that money because the injuries are not worth it, will scare more and more further and further away from game.

Jake Locker did the exact same thing. The only difference is that Locker wasn't especially considered a top-tier QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
5. I have no doubt that if you put Luck in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Baltimore or host of other more football savvy cities he would not have been booed when news broke, more likely standing ovation from more knowledgeable fans understanding what their QB had been through
Well, at least you didn't say Philly..

Not sure I agree with you. Personally, I think once the shock of the situation wears off.. If they were to honor him 20 years down the road (or less) then you'd have the Colts fans give him the reception he deserves.

I think they were just more shocked and surprised than anything and it came out as boos. Perhaps not boos to him, but boos to the decision. and I do think that's somewhat understandable.

This wasn't as bad a situation as cheering an injured player like what happened with Michael Irvin back in the day.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM

77,702 posts, read 59,844,990 times
The fans just had their next few years dashed in front of their eyes, they were butthurt and reacted accordingly with boos.

Frankly, I understand that.

After the shock wears off, I suspect passions will cool.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:43 PM

77,702 posts, read 59,844,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Andrew too good of a QB. If Colts tanked more, they can get better O-line. Everyone builds through the draft. Colts never bad enough because of Luck. Well okay, they recently got Quenton Nelson, and had Anthony Costanzo for a bit woo hoo.

Better Luck to Andrew in the future.

oh well. I guess soccer is popular for a reason.
You can get really really good O-line players even drafting late, you just take them with your 1st, 2nd etc. round picks and make it a priority.

They got Braden Smith last year (2nd round) and he made the pro-writers all-rookie team.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,727,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Jake Locker did the exact same thing. The only difference is that Locker wasn't especially considered a top-tier QB.
LOL did not know he retired. Who he end up playing for?

Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,370,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Kind of crazy that fans would boo the guy into retirement. He made a very personal decision, I think fans should respect that. And I’m a Bears fan so it ain’t like I’m wedded to the guy. Now if it was Jay Cutler, maybe.

“It hurt — I’ll be honest, it hurt,” Luck said referring to the reaction.

Andrew Luck didn't hide his emotions when announcing his retirement from the NFL on Saturday. (AP)
Andrew Luck didn't hide his emotions when announcing his retirement from the NFL on Saturday. (AP)
Those fans were booing because they knew that a Pro Bowl quarterback’s sudden decision to retire two weeks before the regular season would leave a team in the lurch. And to be sure, the Colts may still be hard-pressed to reach their ceiling in 2019, a season in which they need to reach the AFC title game to build on last season’s accomplishments.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/in-indy...033708460.html
Every individual is different.

Someone said (I forgot whom) said it took guts for what he did.

I've heard all of the "talk and analysis" from the sports talking heads.

It's OK for someone to be an individual and not a robot.

Kudos to Luck.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times
So now the Colts tank, get Tua, and get another Pro Bowl QB as the fans in Washington, Miami etc wonder when their turn comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football