Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:14 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

It comes down to coaching. There are some coaches in this league who know how to bring out the best in a quarterback. Geoff is an example of a quarterback that was assumed to be a bust. McVay comes to town and suddenly gets the best out of Geoff and gets to the Super Bowl. Of course, Geoff has kind of regressed this season, but the point is, it comes down to the right coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 11:05 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
MC, I basically agree that modern QBs are often given unfairly brief windows to succeed/develop.. especially pocket passers. The pocket passing game is cerebral, and requires time to mature & advance. Guys like Bradshaw, Steve Young, & Aikman all had serious struggles early in their NFL careers, but were given time to progress & gathered good supporting casts.
The running QBs start fast, bcuz their games are usually simpler, more instinctual. They look good quick, but plateau. Their early success is imposing an unfair standard on the pocket passers, who develop slower, but have higher ceilings. Minus R. Wilson, the more traditional pocket passers keep winning the Super Bowls (Brady, Brees, Manning Bros, etc).

My opinion, Daniel Jones is a good, recent example. Dismissed even before he played, heavily criticized during his first partial season. But I see a lot of skill, and believe he'll flourish in time, if allowed

Old 11-20-2019, 07:17 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Yup, many Eagles fans have Wentz on the scrap heap right now.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Yup, many Eagles fans have Wentz on the scrap heap right now.
Which oddly enough, followed an insufferable amount of Ginger Jesus talk

Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Yeah, I think Boller should be out there.....

Teams don't give up to soon, fans do......Philly Fans are always complaining.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Which oddly enough, followed an insufferable amount of Ginger Jesus talk

Ginger Judas.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:55 AM

84 posts, read 31,105 times
Eh, I disagree. The criticism of Trubisky is warranted, but the Bears were idiots trading up to draft him and giving away the house. The Niners were laughing all the way to the bank getting two 3rd round picks and a fourth to rebuild their franchise. It reminded me of when the Cowboys traded Hershel Walker to the Vikings and rebuilt their entire team. If I recall, Trubisky had 1/2 as many throws as most college qbs entering the league and came in extremely green by NFL standards, lacking in many fundamentals. And being thrown into a starting role with that type of inexperience and learning on the job in the NFL is a recipe for disaster....which exactly is what Trubisky is...an absolute disaster. The Bears should quickly cut their losses on him and "fail fast". It was a mistake. Admit it and move on.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Am I out on a island on this one or somewhat right, based on QBR and PTS ADDED #10 of the Bears is almost dead last. QB's today get 1 year or maybe 2 then it's trash heap and "we're onto our new QB"

How many years of Rex Grossman did you sit through?

A guy with a potato gun looks good in comparison.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
How many years of Rex Grossman did you sit through?

A guy with a potato gun looks good in comparison.

LOL too many!

Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
LOL too many!

Being serious.. not that I was overly joking about Rex... We had to put up with him in Washington as well.

The thing is.. Trubisky, to me, the best comparison that I can give on him is that he'd top out being a Jason Campbell. He's never going to be on the level of an Aaron Rodgers. He's not even going to be a guy that tops out in the upper ranges.. Your Matt Ryan type. He's going to be.. Average.

Now, Average can take you far. You put a good running game in, along with a solid defense.. That average QB can win a Super Bowl. See Brad Johnson. An exceptional defense can make Trent Dilfer a champion.

The decision has to be made.. Is that enough? Do you build a defense an running game around him? Is he 'good enough'? I think he probably is for that scenario. But 3 years is about what people get now for one simple reason.. The 5 year rookie contract. Right now, they're having to look at.. Do we pick up the 5th year option on him?

So.. In reality.. That's the reason QBs get about 3 years now. If you haven't shown it in those three years.. That option is not being picked up and the writing is on the wall.

The good news is.. Hey. They haven't sunk a ton of money into the guy. They CAN just cut him loose and move on after 4 years.You don't have a Ryan Leaf or Heath Shuler type situation that kills your franchise for a decade.

And of course.. You don't invest a first round pick (More in this case) for average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football