Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 10:44 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times

Advertisements

Just kinda curious as to what you all think. He's taken Washington to the playoffs. Probably a quick exit.. I mean, I don't think anyone expects Washington to beat Tampa.. If the defense totally shuts them down, they have a chance, but.. Probably not.

So now.. The season is over.. Smith has enough money to last a lifetime. What do you think he does?

I absolutely think yes, he should retire. Scares the hell out of me every time he takes a hit. example, the offsides penalty late in the 4th yesterday.. Mckinney or whoever that was did a second surge through the line and hit Smith right in his bad leg. He went down and grabbed it.. I think he was just adjusting the brace, but still.. Heart goes into your throat then.

Will he? I think he's a smart guy.. I think he's accomplished what he needed to. Yeah.. I think he does.

There's no way Washington wants to keep him on the roster. Now, what I can see and this makes a ton of sense.. Assuming they draft a QB.. and with that win, there's no guarantee a quality QB will be available.. He retires, takes his money off the books.. And then Washington pays him as a 'consultant' or something. I'd be all for that. The guy certainly is smart and his knowledge I'd hate to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 11:22 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Yes I agree. I think he goes into coaching after retirement, seems like a really smart guy too, I think he would be very successful if that's what he wants to do post career. Miami, the Jets, and the Bengals at #5 could all make a killing in future assets to trade back with the Lions, Washington, other teams that need a QB.

We all agree at Lawrence #1 to the Jags. With the Jets, I'd run it back with Darnold and pair him with an actual competent NFL coach and see what you have, and I really don't like picking anyone else at #2, so I could definitely see them trading down with Washington, if Washington rates Fields, Wilson that highly. Miami (via Houston) at #3 I wouldn't give up on Tua quite yet, and they already have enough draft capital maybe they take a risk and draft the Bama WR, but they could also acquire more capital.
Atlanta at #4 is the only team where I could actually see them staying there and drafting a QB since they should start looking for a replacement for Ryan soon.
Cincinnati at #5 certainly isn't drafting a QB, and they have enough holes on both sides of the ball where acquiring multiple picks probably wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to them.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Alex Smith has earned the right to retire if he wants, or continue to pursue opportunities. I don't have an opinion on whether he should or not, it is none of my concern.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:01 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yes I agree. I think he goes into coaching after retirement, seems like a really smart guy too, I think he would be very successful if that's what he wants to do post career. Miami, the Jets, and the Bengals at #5 could all make a killing in future assets to trade back with the Lions, Washington, other teams that need a QB.

We all agree at Lawrence #1 to the Jags. With the Jets, I'd run it back with Darnold and pair him with an actual competent NFL coach and see what you have, and I really don't like picking anyone else at #2, so I could definitely see them trading down with Washington, if Washington rates Fields, Wilson that highly. Miami (via Houston) at #3 I wouldn't give up on Tua quite yet, and they already have enough draft capital maybe they take a risk and draft the Bama WR, but they could also acquire more capital.
Atlanta at #4 is the only team where I could actually see them staying there and drafting a QB since they should start looking for a replacement for Ryan soon.
Cincinnati at #5 certainly isn't drafting a QB, and they have enough holes on both sides of the ball where acquiring multiple picks probably wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to them.

Interesting thoughts. However.. I don't think Washington jumps up to draft any QB. Why? RG3. 'nuff said, lesson learned.(I Hope!)

I think Trey Lance will be Rivera's target. I think he'd be OK with the BYU guy (Zack Wilson? Drawing a blank here) but if they're both gone.. I think they pursue a FA QB. Stafford would probably top the list.

But there's no way they're selling the farm again. Now, maybe if they can get a good deal to jump up a few spots.. A first and second for a first.. Something like that.. Maybe. But you're not going to see (I pray) a jump up to the level where it costs them multiple years' first round picks.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:12 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
His leg is a ticking time bomb, he really needs to put his health at the top of his priorities list.

Last night was the first time I've seen him and wow does he ever remind me of Aaron Rodgers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:14 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
My question is if he is going to even have a choice. WFT is going to cut him to get a lot of cap room back. And while his play is a feel good story it isn’t much else of substance. Plus I don’t think GMs and owners are going to want to risk a sequel happening in their uniform, especially for someone who probably is best as a backup QB.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:33 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Interesting thoughts. However.. I don't think Washington jumps up to draft any QB. Why? RG3. 'nuff said, lesson learned.(I Hope!)

I think Trey Lance will be Rivera's target. I think he'd be OK with the BYU guy (Zack Wilson? Drawing a blank here) but if they're both gone.. I think they pursue a FA QB. Stafford would probably top the list.

But there's no way they're selling the farm again. Now, maybe if they can get a good deal to jump up a few spots.. A first and second for a first.. Something like that.. Maybe. But you're not going to see (I pray) a jump up to the level where it costs them multiple years' first round picks.
Yah. I don't think Washington trades up either. I've been wrong plenty of times hence why I'm posting here and not doing actual scouting, but I really like Kyle Trask of Florida, and you can probably get him late first/second round. He had a really bad bowl game no doubt, but he had 3 WR's and his TE that opted out to prep for the NFL draft, but during the season he had something like 40 touchdowns and 4,000 yards passing, and in the SEC that ain't no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football