U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2021, 12:20 AM

6,126 posts, read 3,058,643 times

Advertisements

1. Arizona Cardinals- The Raiders coming back down to earth and losing to the Chargers made this decision a lot easier. Cardinals are the only undefeated team left in the league at 4-0. And while they are not the perfect 4-0 team (should have lost to the Vikings), they have the leagues most potent offense having scored of 30 points in every game they have played this year. They are also showing that they have a more than capable defense to pair with their offense too with two blow out victories under their belt.

2. Chargers- They have a signature win against the Chiefs and just took down an undefeated Raiders team. Their one loss was a close one to a really good Cowboys team. Herbert is showing he won't be having a sophomore slump.

3. Cowboys- Cowboys fans could be made that I have them one spot below the team that they beat. While the Cowboys are a well rounded team and the defense looks much improved I am a little concerned that their defense actually ranks 26th in yards per game. Given the hype around the defense I thought it would at least be middle of the pack if not higher.

4. Rams- Rams are coming off their first loss but this team is still very good all around. They have a big signature win against the Bucs.

5. Bills- The Bills boast an obscene point differential of +90. Their +90 point differential is 35 points greater than the team with the second highest point differential, the Cardinals (+55) and 56 points greater than the third best team, the Broncos (+34). The Bills league rankings in the four major team categories are: Offensive PPG #2, Offensive YPG #6, Defensive PPG #1, Defensive YPG #1. These are truly elite numbers. For more perspective on the Bills +90 point differential, the 2007 New England Patriots that went 16-0 in the regular season had a +100 point differential through 4 games. The Bills at worst are a blocked punt, returned for a TD by the Steelers in the first game, away from having a +97 point differential. They've pitched 35-0 and 40-0 shut outs.

That said, as much as I love my Bills I just can't put them any higher until I see them against a legitimate contender for the first time this season. Bills will get that opportunity this Sunday against the Chiefs.

6. Chiefs- There's 12 3-1 teams in the NFL. The Chiefs at 2-2 are ahead of all but four of the previous mentioned 3-1 teams. I'm not sure a team has played a tougher slate of games out the gate then the Chiefs first four games. And the two losses could have easily been wins. But they find themselves at 2-2 and #6 in the power rankings largely because their defense is a hot mess. This week they get a red hot Bills team but the Bills offense struggled twice last year to put up points against the Chiefs defense.

7. Buccaneers- The Bucs find themselves trending in the wrong direction. The Rams handled them fairly easily and this last week they struggled against the Patriots needing a donk to escape defeat.

8. Browns- One could make an argument that the Browns should be higher on the list. They went toe to toe with the Chiefs week one. Yes they narrowly escaped defeat against the Vikings but so was true of my number 1 ranked team. The Browns have a very good defense and a great running game. Those two things alone will take them far. The question might still be whether Baker will limit their ceiling.

9&10- Packers and Ravens- It was a toss up for me as to which team should go before the other here. I feel both teams are flawed in different ways. In greatly different ways their QB's are the most gifted in the game. Just like the Browns defense and running game alone will take the Browns far, the QB's of these two teams can take a team far by themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 PM

2,891 posts, read 5,122,878 times
Well thought out although I have some disagreement(s) (of course). Not much problem with your teams but with their order.

I read at least a dozen power rankings today and yes many of them jumped on the #1 Cardinals bandwagon because of how they smacked the Lambs . . . errrr . . . Rams around. They look great and based on their unblemished record the #1 spot is fine and they've earned it.

If the cards are #1 then I have to go Bills #2. My #3 probably the Rams. I think the Packers, #4, are too low and I see them next. Rogers is fabulous despite only 1 SB.

Lets go back to the AFC and rank the Chargers #5 and I'm OK with them ahead of my 'Boys. Things get real muddled now as all these teams have a known weakness. I'll go Browns #6 (weakness Mayfield). I'll put my Cowboys #7 on the strength of their strong versatile offense. (weakness defense)

Bucs #8 (weak defensive backfield), Ravens #9 (even though Lamar Jackson won an MVP and runs like crazy their are deficits at RB and I'll say Jackson's passing), and then #10 Chiefs (weakness is defense).

This is really hard because I can think of reasons to put teams in different places. I absolutely love Mahomes but that KC defense has them lower in the power rankings. GB, despite AR got humiliated by a pretty bad NO team so that can hurt them. Bucs have Brady and have the same squad that won a SB last year but look beatable frequently. My cowboys defense has given up more 20yd+ plays than any team in the NFL. And the list and reasons can be manipulated in all our thought processes but in the end you gotta put 'em somewhere.

Make your list and then go read half a dozen or so rankings and see how the pto talking heads did it. My Cowboys were ranked anywhere from #11 to #6. Stephen a Smith had them as his #2 and he hates the Cowboys. I'm thinkin he musta had a blunt before the show.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:08 PM

6,126 posts, read 3,058,643 times
Thanks for the reply BobTex. I already like your rankings over mine because you have my Bills at #2. I was surprised to see ESPN but the Bills at #1. Everyone is on the Bills bandwagon it seems now. Cowherd also had them #1 today. As a fan, the point differential and three straight blow-out victories are nice but I need them to prove it to me against the best competition in the league. The Bills schedule is incredibly easy this year on paper. They don't necessairly need to beat the Chiefs on the road to stay in my top five but they need to keep it a one score game.

I can't recall so many 3-1 teams through four weeks of the season. It makes it really hard trying to figure out who is elite and who is good and who is destined to come back down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football