Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 08:03 PM

3,962 posts, read 5,710,097 times

Advertisements

Heh heh. I watched the second half of the Grey Cup (Toronto Argonauts vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers) yesterday, which was the first time in many years I watched the CFL. It was actually quite entertaining seeing how the Canadian League does their own thing with gridiron ball. Rules and play are similar in some regards but different in others. Possessions do turn over quicker because there are only 3 downs instead of 4. There are total players on each side instead of 11 and the offensive line gets to move before the quarterback snap. I saw one foul committed towards the end of the game called a "No Yards" foul which I had never heard of before and had to look it up. Too bad I did not get to see a "single" being attempted, that scoring method does not exist in American football. The commentators mentioned that the Blue Bombers might attempt one but they did not get a chance to. The audience, though noticeably smaller than an NFL Superbowl audience, was just as thrilled to be there. I am sure there are other differences in play but I'd have to watch more games to notice. I'll definitely try to watch more CFL games in the future just to keep track of the play differences .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:08 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,750,740 times
I saw the HL.

I almost made a thread today in the Canada subforum asking whether CFL should expand into America, particularly the city of Anchorage in Alaska.

Anchorage has more people Regina Sascatchewan, which is home to the Rough Riders. So market size is feasible. It is far enough away from the lower 48s. There should be no competition. I think it be a good fit. Plus BC needs a rival for Labour Day.

CFL regular season no coincide with NFL should I think they can market in US even if they just capture a smaller market.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I saw the HL.

I almost made a thread today in the Canada subforum asking whether CFL should expand into America, particularly the city of Anchorage in Alaska.

Anchorage has more people Regina Sascatchewan, which is home to the Rough Riders. So market size is feasible. It is far enough away from the lower 48s. There should be no competition. I think it be a good fit. Plus BC needs a rival for Labour Day.

CFL regular season no coincide with NFL should I think they can market in US even if they just capture a smaller market.
Only that as I found out recently, the Roughriders are a community owned team like the Green Bay Packers. Their shares owning fans are all over Canada and they actually have a very strong fanbase to CFL standards. I don't know if it's that easy to found a franchise like that anymore. If the CFL were to expand, Halifax, NS would be a better market. It's weird that in the world of professional sports, Canada does not exist in any form east of Montreal.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Only that as I found out recently, the Roughriders are a community owned team like the Green Bay Packers. Their shares owning fans are all over Canada and they actually have a very strong fanbase to CFL standards. I don't know if it's that easy to found a franchise like that anymore. If the CFL were to expand, Halifax, NS would be a better market. It's weird that in the world of professional sports, Canada does not exist in any form east of Montreal.
I think perhaps they can use three more teams. Halifax or somewhere in between them, and Moncton and St John, just to increase the fanbase. And QBC. Finally, my idea of Anchorage. If there is a team in Halifax, they need a rival for Labour day. BC has no one to play either hence my Anchorage idea.

Plus what else does CFL have going on? They can only get bigger, not smaller. Honestly, I think all three places would love teams. They have nothing otherwise, except top level amateur hockey, which is pretty good, but need something in summer. By top level, I mean Anchorage has NCAA Div 1 UAlaska Seawolves, NAHL Wolverines; QBC with QMJHL Remparts; and Maritime QMJHL teams like Moosehead,

Old 11-23-2022, 07:43 AM

2,234 posts, read 981,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think perhaps they can use three more teams. Halifax or somewhere in between them, and Moncton and St John, just to increase the fanbase. And QBC. Finally, my idea of Anchorage. If there is a team in Halifax, they need a rival for Labour day. BC has no one to play either hence my Anchorage idea.

Plus what else does CFL have going on? They can only get bigger, not smaller. Honestly, I think all three places would love teams. They have nothing otherwise, except top level amateur hockey, which is pretty good, but need something in summer. By top level, I mean Anchorage has NCAA Div 1 UAlaska Seawolves, NAHL Wolverines; QBC with QMJHL Remparts; and Maritime QMJHL teams like Moosehead,
Sadly, not enough population to support three teams in the Maritime Provinces.

One team based in Halifax might be successful...key word is might.

Quebec City is a big enough city but I don't think football is popular there.

It would be good for the CFL to have an "even" 10 teams...

Here is some interesting trivia...the CFL DID have a lot more teams for a few years
in the 90's ...they were US based teams!

Sacramento Gold Miners
Las Vegas Posse
Baltimore Stallions
Shreveport Pirates
Birmingham Barracudas
Memphis Mad Dogs
San Antonio Texans

The CFL created a "southern division" comprised of their US teams.

The Baltimore Stallions were the only non-Canadian team to ever win the Grey Cup!
They won the Grey Cup in 1995.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Sadly, not enough population to support three teams in the Maritime Provinces.

One team based in Halifax might be successful...key word is might.

It would be good for the CFL to have an "even" 10 teams...

Here is some interesting trivia...the CFL DID have a lot more teams for a few years
in the 90's ...they were US based teams!

Sacramento Gold Miners
Las Vegas Posse
Baltimore Stallions
Shreveport Pirates
Birmingham Barracudas
Memphis Mad Dogs
San Antonio Texans

The CFL created a "southern division" comprised of their US teams.

The Baltimore Stallions were the only non-Canadian team to ever win the Grey Cup!
They won the Grey Cup in 1995.
I did not mean three teams in the Maritimes. I meant one team to service three metros. QBC got nothing else. It does not look like NHL will come. I think by now the denizens are desperate for anything beside ammy hockey.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:45 AM

26,766 posts, read 37,694,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post

Football is very popular in Quebec City. They have the best university (college) football program in Canada, and probably the best attendance in the country for that level of the sport.

What Quebec City is missing though is a CFL-sized stadium.

Halifax has the same problem.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:32 PM

CFL players sure don't make much money compared to their NFL counterparts. The highest paid (usually star QBs) can pull in up to half a million dollars but most everyone else earn on average only $80,000. I am not saying every proffesional athlete has to be a millionaire but $80,000 to me is pretty low pay for a sport in which one gets violently hit and tackled all the time. What do others think?

Old 12-22-2022, 07:47 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,924,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
CFL players sure don't make much money compared to their NFL counterparts. The highest paid (usually star QBs) can pull in up to half a million dollars but most everyone else earn on average only $80,000. I am not saying every proffesional athlete has to be a millionaire but $80,000 to me is pretty low pay for a sport in which one gets violently hit and tackled all the time. What do others think?
How much revenue does CFL generate?

Old 12-22-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
How much revenue does CFL generate?

Not enough apparently. I don't know exact figures but the league has faced financial issues in the recent past. Somewhere I read, the CFL relies heavily on ticket sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football