Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 07:38 PM

18,096 posts, read 27,565,186 times

Advertisements

Helmet slamming is for one, idiotic, secondly, it's a violation of the safety purpose of the helmet.

Each player, starting quarterback included, should be issued one and only one helmet per game, except for one backup the equipment attendant keeps for the purpose of a helmet that incurs obvious and unintended damage.

Once a helmet takes a shot, such as being slammed into the ground or spiked into the ground, it needs to be thrown away, as it's a one time deal.

Besides all that, it's childish and punkish. Slam the helmet, sit on the bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 06:51 AM

3,270 posts, read 5,655,340 times
I think severe temper tantrums, starting scuffles, being hyper aggressive toward others all deserve significant fines. No slap on the wrist. Such uncontrolled behavior is a horrible character look and the league needs to get a well publicized handle on such.

Most know I'm a Cowboy fan but I include my Cowboy's TE in this with his display of signalling a 1st down against Seattle that ended with him trying to "walk through" Seattle safety Jamal Adams resulting in a helmet bump with him. There were fines handed out but it was not enough IMO. Gotta stop on field aggressiveness such as this. Use that aggression during the play !

Old 12-12-2023, 07:40 AM

14,336 posts, read 14,677,036 times
I don't like it either, definitely a bad look. Will the league take notice, I wonder.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:20 AM

4,089 posts, read 2,423,637 times
Probably not and, sue the messenger, it's football. It's an aggressive sport. Tons of testosterone out there. It does get to be too much sometimes. However, all players are trying to exert power out there so scuffles, helmet slamming, first down finger pointing, etc. is part of the game, unfortunately.

Old 12-13-2023, 04:11 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,446,220 times
What is the official rule? Throwing a helmet is a penalty regardless, right? And removing your helmet during play, as.. Oh who was that years ago for the Browns that took his helmet off while the play was still going to celebrate, got a 15 yard penalty and I think it was KC kicked a FG to win the game?

Slamming it into the ground.. Ugh.. I can argue both sides on that. It's.. A pretty natural reaction.. And.. It's not hurting anyone.. But.. agree.. It can be a bad look.

I think I'd honestly have to say don't change for the sake of change. If it gets bad.. Revisit. But we're not there yet.

Old 12-13-2023, 06:31 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What is the official rule? Throwing a helmet is a penalty regardless, right? And removing your helmet during play, as.. Oh who was that years ago for the Browns that took his helmet off while the play was still going to celebrate, got a 15 yard penalty and I think it was KC kicked a FG to win the game?

Slamming it into the ground.. Ugh.. I can argue both sides on that. It's.. A pretty natural reaction.. And.. It's not hurting anyone.. But.. agree.. It can be a bad look.

I think I'd honestly have to say don't change for the sake of change. If it gets bad.. Revisit. But we're not there yet.
The guy you are thinking of is Dwayne Rudd. Otherwise solid linebacker who ruined his career with this screwup. On the video, Dan Diedorf was 100% on point with pointing out what was happening in the chaos.

https://youtu.be/nz8y_SU3CPE?si=0pHfwGOlb6RoLQnM

I think penalizing helmet slamming on the sidelines would be ridiculous and unnecessary. Let dudes make complete a&#es out of themselves should be sufficient “punishment” for slamming a helmet. It’s an emotional game and it really isn’t hurting anything except maybe egos.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I think severe temper tantrums, starting scuffles, being hyper aggressive toward others all deserve significant fines. No slap on the wrist. Such uncontrolled behavior is a horrible character look and the league needs to get a well publicized handle on such.

Most know I'm a Cowboy fan but I include my Cowboy's TE in this with his display of signalling a 1st down against Seattle that ended with him trying to "walk through" Seattle safety Jamal Adams resulting in a helmet bump with him. There were fines handed out but it was not enough IMO. Gotta stop on field aggressiveness such as this. Use that aggression during the play !
Agreed. One thing to have a lot of energy, celebrate a good win, but not so sure about dancing around like a fool on a 2nd down sack.

I know folks don't want the NFL to resort back to the No Fun League, but the gang celebrations in the end zone each time the D gets a turnover? It's getting to be a bit much.

What I'm thinking about here isn't the obvious stupidity of childish tantrums, but what about simple sportsmanship?

What if a player got a TD, shook the hand of their nearest teammate, then handed the ball off to the ref? Would that raise an eyebrow or two? Folks would think the player lost their mind. What? No egotistical display?

So, with the rudeness of the players during the game, such as the 1st down you mentioned, "Act like you've been there before."

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I don't like it either, definitely a bad look. Will the league take notice, I wonder.
Well, I bet Mahomes will calm down and feel better of it and show some remorse. He's the face of the NFL now. He's the leader of the whole deal now. What he says and does is important.

But, most good industries will get regulated by some form of a safety program. Why? It's good for business. What if a guy spikes his helmet and a piece of the facemask flies out and puts a coach's eye out? I know that's not likely, but it's a preventable risk.

I wouldn't like a player from my team doing this stupid stuff. Targeting, another can of worms. I'm glad Jackson is out because the Broncos seem to win more games with him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
... Let dudes make complete a&#es out of themselves should be sufficient “punishment” for slamming a helmet. It’s an emotional game and it really isn’t hurting anything except maybe egos.
I suppose it's ok, as long as the back of the helmet has one of those "End Hate" stickers or some jit on it like that.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-13-2023 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 04:00 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,010,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Helmet slamming is for one, idiotic, secondly, it's a violation of the safety purpose of the helmet.

Each player, starting quarterback included, should be issued one and only one helmet per game, except for one backup the equipment attendant keeps for the purpose of a helmet that incurs obvious and unintended damage.

Once a helmet takes a shot, such as being slammed into the ground or spiked into the ground, it needs to be thrown away, as it's a one time deal.

Besides all that, it's childish and punkish. Slam the helmet, sit on the bench.
Agree with most of your points. As mentioned above, a lot of players get caught in the heat of the moment and take their feelings out on their helmets, as it is an easy out. No different than knocking over the water cooler in baseball.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:00 PM

Lamar Jackson slammed his helmet a bit ago.

Not a "we" type move right there.

Should he be frustrated? Yeah. But why not slam that helmet in Fowler's general direction or someplace useful like that? The ground is not the problem here, nor is the helmet, imo of course, ymmv, yada yada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Zay Flowers threw his helmet on the ground too, & then cut his hand on the sideline when he was frustrated, lol.
Oh, you got the same sense of humor as me.

I spose causing your opponent to slam a helmet is a positive thing.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-28-2024 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-28-2024, 04:19 PM

4,681 posts, read 3,888,508 times
Zay Flowers threw his helmet on the ground too, & then cut his hand on the sideline when he was frustrated, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football