Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 06:42 PM

14,336 posts, read 14,675,955 times

Advertisements

Seattle's Week 15 game at Lumen Field against the Philadelphia Eagles has been flexed into Monday Night Football by the league, the first time the league has ever moved a game from Sunday to Monday. The NFL changed its flex scheduling policies in 2023 to allow for date changes depending on matchups.

I posted another flex in the Broncos/Lions threads, game moved to Sat. evening. also Week 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 08:38 AM

45,763 posts, read 27,410,412 times
People are HOT at the NFL with this change... screwed up a bunch of travel plans less than 3 weeks from the event.

Not that the NFL cares about people attending the games.

Makes you wonder who the more valuable consumer is... the people who attend the games, or the people who watch the games on TV. There's definitely more of the latter.

I wonder if the teams had the opportunity to decline this.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:40 AM

22,701 posts, read 47,906,544 times
No wonder at all… it is ALL about the TV revenue.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:52 PM

19,755 posts, read 10,197,714 times
If the NFL cared about fans, there would be NO exclusive games on NFL network.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:11 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,441,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No wonder at all… it is ALL about the TV revenue.

If I'm not mistaken.. SNF ratings are WAY higher than MNF?

And.. I went and looked it up. The answer is.. It depends so far as who wins the ratings. But, the statement that SNF ratings are WAY higher than MNF.. No.

Last week.. I'll mention it, but remember.. Thanksgiving week. MNF had about 1 million more viewers, but both games were kinda.. blah based on the matchup.. Not speaking to how the games turned out.

Week 11.. MNF pulled 10 million more viewers.. but.. They had the matchup of the week with KC vs PHI while SNF had MIN vs CHI, which.. Turned out to be a.. 'good' game.

Long story short.. SNF usually wins. but.. If it's a particularly good MNF matchup.. It can jump up.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl...ewership-2023/

There's the ratings. You all can interpret as you wish.

I would just think the smart play for the fans would be to flex the SNF game to Monday.. Those folks, at least, in GENERAL.. Probably would be in town the next day anyway. Still might have to change their flights by a day, but.. Seems that would be easier on the fans. Then, flex PHI vs DEN into the SNF slot.

BTW.. What was the game flexed out of MNF? Those fans still get screwed. But, you're only screwing ONE set of fans pretty much. At least hard.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:52 PM

45,763 posts, read 27,410,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If I'm not mistaken.. SNF ratings are WAY higher than MNF?

And.. I went and looked it up. The answer is.. It depends so far as who wins the ratings. But, the statement that SNF ratings are WAY higher than MNF.. No.

Last week.. I'll mention it, but remember.. Thanksgiving week. MNF had about 1 million more viewers, but both games were kinda.. blah based on the matchup.. Not speaking to how the games turned out.

Week 11.. MNF pulled 10 million more viewers.. but.. They had the matchup of the week with KC vs PHI while SNF had MIN vs CHI, which.. Turned out to be a.. 'good' game.

Long story short.. SNF usually wins. but.. If it's a particularly good MNF matchup.. It can jump up.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl...ewership-2023/

There's the ratings. You all can interpret as you wish.

I would just think the smart play for the fans would be to flex the SNF game to Monday.. Those folks, at least, in GENERAL.. Probably would be in town the next day anyway. Still might have to change their flights by a day, but.. Seems that would be easier on the fans. Then, flex PHI vs DEN into the SNF slot.

BTW.. What was the game flexed out of MNF? Those fans still get screwed. But, you're only screwing ONE set of fans pretty much. At least hard.
Chiefs @ Patriots was flexed out of MNF.

Ravens @ Jaguars are the SNF game.

Old 12-03-2023, 11:33 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,009,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
People are HOT at the NFL with this change... screwed up a bunch of travel plans less than 3 weeks from the event.

Not that the NFL cares about people attending the games.

Makes you wonder who the more valuable consumer is... the people who attend the games, or the people who watch the games on TV. There's definitely more of the latter.

I wonder if the teams had the opportunity to decline this.
I don't know for sure, but I am going to guess the teams have zero say in the scheduling. It is all controlled by the league.

The NFL is going to defend its decisions to flex because "fans want to see all the exciting match ups."

And you are totally right people attending the games get screwed over. Probably won't get any compensation from the league, either. The TV seems to receive priority over attending.

Old 12-03-2023, 11:52 AM

14,336 posts, read 14,675,955 times
Many rules for the flex games, but didn't see anywhere stating teams have a say in it. I would go with no they do not, but certain games require more notice than others, reading about it whole process seems complicated.

Old 12-03-2023, 03:29 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,009,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Many rules for the flex games, but didn't see anywhere stating teams have a say in it. I would go with no they do not, but certain games require more notice than others, reading about it whole process seems complicated.
^This. I think the only notice the teams get is from the league on how far in advance they are flexing.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:29 PM

18,259 posts, read 25,949,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
^This. I think the only notice the teams get is from the league on how far in advance they are flexing.

Plus one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football