Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,382,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
this is funny......

why the steelers suck - Google Video

all in good fun of course
HaHaHaHa!!!!! This coming from CLEVELAND...a record this year 4-12!!!! Now that's funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 PM

NOW this IS funny!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTube - T.O. crying for Romo FUNNY SPOOF (Is the popcorn ready?)

Old 01-02-2009, 01:07 PM

855 posts, read 2,398,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
See "Smooth from ELP" this is what I always get. That the Cowboys did not come up with it. At least one of you guys know the truth.
"I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television."

America's Team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was also in 1978 that Bob Ryan, the editor in chief of NFL Films, tagged the Cowboys as "America's Team" because of their enormous appeal and popularity nationwide. The Cowboys' fourth appearance in the Super Bowl tied Minnesota for the most times ever, and their second win equaled the records of Green Bay, Miami, and Pittsburgh. Dallas reached the Super Bowl for a record-fifth time the next season, but dropped a 35-31 thriller to Pittsburgh.

Handbook of Texas Online - DALLAS COWBOYS

Show me one link that says the Cowboys coined the name. It was coined by NFL Films which is owned and operated by the NFL. Go to the Dallas Cowboys home page and show me where on it you see "America's Team". Go to their store and show me the dozens of t-shirts, sweatshirts or other gear that they sell with "America's Team" on it. They don't push it any more than they created it. Because one fan agrees with your point of view doesn't make it so. The league and the sports media push the moniker more than the Cowboys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
It's a little more than just a nickname because Cowboys fans hold onto it as a badge of pride. Those nicknames you gave examples of describe local areas, not the whole country. Since the 90s the Cowboys teams and organization has stood for what is wrong with this country, not what is right. While I get what you are saying, in reality they are so far from really being "America's Team".
I guess you missed the part where I said I was indifferent to it. You'd probably be surprised how many are indifferent to it or don't go around saying "Whoo-hoo, America's Team". Sure there are fans that do but there are just as many that don't. Those nicknames may be regional but they're widely recognized by fans of the respective sports all over the country.

Now they're emblematic of everything that's wrong in this country? Please. You're just spouting blind loathing. Anything that has happened with the Cowboys in the 90's has happened to any number of teams in any number of sports. Blaming the team for one or more individual's actions is silly. With most teams, people's memories fade but with a team that people love to hate they're constantly dredged up, just as you've done. Leonard Little killed a woman while DUI and got off with a slap on the wrist and no one ever mentions him. Rae Carruth had his girlfriend and child killed but you don't hear anyone railing against the Panthers. Michael Vick is a scumbag but nobody blames the organization, they blame the individual.

Have they brought in some players with checkered pasts? Yes, but I thought most people in this country are about giving people second chances. Tank Johnson? Hasn't done a thing since being in Dallas, in more ways than one. Terrell Owens? Mostly guilty of having a big mouth. Pacman Jones got in trouble and was reinstated by the league, not the Cowboys. Also, outside of them, who else in the past 10 years can you point a finger at and say, "There they go, signing another malcontent."? They signed Alonzo Spellman and Demetrius Underwood and tried to help them with their problems.

The only thing the Cowboys are guilty of is being historically successful and one of the highest profile sports organizations in the world, let alone the country, like it or not. As a result, they're targeted by people that revel in their failures and point out every flaw. They were given the nickname because of the breadth of their fanbase, not because they were considered a "symbol" of the country, then or now. As far as I'm concerned, any other team can have the nickname and it would be fine with me for no other reason than to end silly conversations like this by people that either hate or are jealous of the exposure the Cowboys get.

End of story.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, any other team can have the nickname and it would be fine with me for no other reason than to end silly conversations like this by people that either hate or are jealous of the exposure the Cowboys get.

End of story.
So...are you saying we (fans of other teams) are jealous of the Cowboys?? Because if you are saying that...I can tell you ...NOT!

REASONS why I'm not jealous of the Cryboys:

1. My team is in the playoffs--what is your team doing this month besides playing golf?

2. My team beat the Cryboys twice in Super Bowls---nothing to be jealous about!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:39 PM

855 posts, read 2,398,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
So...are you saying we (fans of other teams) are jealous of the Cowboys?? Because if you are saying that...I can tell you ...NOT!
Obviously, I wouldn't expect a team in the playoffs to be jealous of a team that's not in the playoffs.

This isn't in regards to the team's current standing, it's about the disdain projected towards the "America's Team" inanity in general. Generally such things are based in jealousy or hatred, hence my using those two terms.

Good luck to your team.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
Obviously, I wouldn't expect a team in the playoffs to be jealous of a team that's not in the playoffs.

This isn't in regards to the team's current standing, it's about the disdain projected towards the "America's Team" inanity in general. Generally such things are based in jealousy or hatred, hence my using those two terms.

Good luck to your team.
I'm not jealous of them! Maybe some hatred going on!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,932,936 times
Quote:
I'm not jealous of them! Maybe some hatred going on!
Hatred - yes.
Jealousy - no.

The same can be said about how (TRUE) Cowboys fans feel twoard other teams in the Leauge.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,934,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The Cowboys are always way over-hyped, the same as Brett Favre. And BTW, I can't stand Notre Dame either!
I always knew there was something I liked about you, Syn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
The Cowboys suck!!!

1. Romo is NOT a good quarterback. He's not as good as the Bears Rex Grossman who is awful.
2. Too many passes are thrown to the slow tight end with zero YAC (yards after catch).
3. Owens is not nearly used as much as he should be. Should have at least 20 touches per game.
4. Owens also needs to be muzzled to learn to ****!!! His mouth is a malignant cancer that ruins the team.
5. Should have fired Bum Phillips junior as coach and hired a badas$ like Cowher or Singletary to knock Owens in the mouth. Heck, bring in Bud Grant who at 85 will knock Owens' teeth out and instill some toughness in the Cowboys.
6. Defense is really good, but someone needs to knock the crap out of the players who have a "look at me" showboat attitude. Dont celebrate and dance or hold up #1 when you get a sack/interception if youre losing by 28 points.
Point #6 times ten! I was shaking my head when I saw a Cowboy do some silly dance b/c of a good play when his team was already losing by a few dozen points.

Quote:
Damn straight I know that nickname (CRYBOYS)! Who do you think gave the Cowboys that nickname? Let me enlighten you....It was the late, great Myron Cope from Pittsburgh!

I'm NOT jealous---FAR from it! We beat y'all twice in the Super Bowls--You beat us once! You see who is in the playoffs and who is not, don't ya?!?!
Remember, it's not Cryboys, it's Crygirls!

Happy New Year, everyone, and go Giants!

Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM

729 posts, read 2,069,626 times
Well who cares (actually the Haters do) where, who, and when the name was given to the Cowboys. The fact is that they are and always will be Americas Team.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,929,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Well who cares (actually the Haters do) where, who, and when the name was given to the Cowboys. The fact is that they are and always will be Americas Team.
Only to Cowboys fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football