Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Grad the Refs for Super Bowl XLIII
The Officiating for the game was fine and had no bearing on the outcome of the game. 22 40.74%
The Officiating was slightly biased for one team, but it's all good because the right team won. 1 1.85%
The Officiating was horrible, but the Steelers deserved the win and would have one anyway. 7 12.96%
The Officiating was horrible and the refs decided the outcome with 5 ticks on the clock. 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM

18,001 posts, read 27,450,890 times

Advertisements

Ok first of all, the last play at the end of the half was epic and I'd say it was a touchdown for the Steelers. I thought at first it was off sides on the Steelers, but it wasn't. If that wasn't a touchdown, I don't know what is.

But all those penalties on the Cardinals was getting rediculous. It did even out near the end.

But that throw of Kurt Warner's went forward. That was not a fumble. Are you telling me that had that ball, which fell forward, been caught by let's say a Steeler, that it wouldn't be an interception? Or had one of the Cardinals caught it, would it not be a catch? Kurt Warner's arm was so powerful that he pulled the ball and the defender forward and dumped off as an incomplete pass to avoid the sack.

Bad call. We will never know what would have happened with 5 seconds left and the ball on the Steelers' 44 yard line. Let's say they fail to get into the endzone and the Steelers go on to win anyway. THEN it would have been the best Super Bowl ever.

Add: Oh, the touchdown at the end? Best touchdown ever. No controversy whatsoever. But when it played live, I said "No Way!" But when the world saw it on replay, touchdown no question. Homes should win Dancin' With the Stars with that footwork and he had the ball in control.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-01-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
I didnt agree with the last call. But I think they got the last Touchdown right, it was close, but Holmes had his feet down.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
I don't believe in complaining about officiating. In nearly every case where a questionable call occurs, it's only questionable because the players in question didn't play a little smarter, faster, harder, in better position, etc. Even when a disastrously blown call occurs, not every inch of the field is subject to individual scrutiny, and there will also have been disastrously blown calls before it that no one noticed--those too could have changed the course of the game, but no one with a normal amount of time on their hands would ever know it, because no one has time and means and opportunity to re-watch a game over and over, watching each player's every action.

They even out, when we step back from the myopia of a given moment. Unless an official is actually corrupt, which I think is very rare in most respectable sports, ref calls are like dice rolls. Unless the dice are loaded, there is no such thing as a good die or bad die; given an honest roll, your odds of a given result rest with pure mathematical probability. I don't believe in lucky dice, and I don't believe in blaming bad results on officials. I believe in playing better. If you play just 5% better, nearly all the calls that would otherwise have been close will now go your way, and a new bunch of calls will become tossups--and odds say you'll get your half of them.

I realize how utterly un-American it is of me not to blame officials for sporting results, but that has never bothered me before and doesn't bother me now. You can't rely on officials to win a game for you. You can rely only on yourself, your teammates and your coaching.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,212 times
Warner did not have control of the ball when his arm started going forward, that is a fumble.

Great game though. I thought the cardinals were done when they were down by 13, very gutsy game.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 PM

I disagree. The way I saw it, Kurt arm-wrestled the ball and the player forward and dumped the ball forward. It was an incomplete forward pass, not a fumble.

Add: his lineman stood there and watched the ball fall to the ground. He didn't even go after it, as if it were a fumble. He saw it the way I did.

Like I said, had they put that down as an incompletion, then ran the last 5 second play, the ball falls incomplete... it would have been the perfect Super Bowl still. But we'll always wonder, what if the refs hadn't robbed Kurt Warner on that play?

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-02-2009 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: after further review

Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I disagree. The way I saw it, Kurt arm wrestled the ball and the player forward and dumped forward. It was an incomplete forward pass, not a fumble.
I agree, a shotput, is still a forward pass. WHY WAS THIS NOT REVIEWED.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I didnt agree with the last call. But I think they got the last Touchdown right, it was close, but Holmes had his feet down.
I think he had his foot on his ankle. But too hard to tell exactly.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
speaking of officiating, is it me or did there seem to be a lot of reviews in this game? I can't recall this many ever.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I agree, a shotput, is still a forward pass. WHY WAS THIS NOT REVIEWED.
Why was it not reviewed? That's the question right there. It's under 2 minutes, so it HAS to come from the booth. With any controversy such as that, why wouldn't you review it? 5 seconds left! People haven't rushed the field yet.

I'd have let it go, but I can't. I went over to some really big sports forum and the first thread up is:

"Is the Super Bowl officiating as bad as I think?" then,
"YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE BOOTH!!!"

So refs, why?

Here we go; here's an exact quote from a self-proclaimed Steeler fan;

"I am a Steeler fan and it was the worst officiated Super Bowl I have seen. I mean really, to not even review that last play where Warner's hand was going forward was unconcianable. The win is null and void as far as I am concernded because the Cardinals were jobbed out of one last play from about the 35 yard line. Not the way I want the Steelers to win a Super Bowl. Complete garbage."

If anyone doesn't believe me, DM me and I'll lead you to the exact post.

And in my poll in here, it looks like it's going to swing heavily in favor of option #1. It just goes to show you how it goes in this sports forum in here. Rooting for your team and everything is great. But let's at least be truthful. I will be. Always; whether my team wins or loses.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-02-2009 at 12:55 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
speaking of officiating, is it me or did there seem to be a lot of reviews in this game? I can't recall this many ever.
Thought the same thing.

Maybe with all the contraversial calls this season, the NFL was extra careful using the reviews. It might also have been because alot of the big plays (Harrison's INT, Holmes TD) happened in the final 2 minutes of the half when the booth reviews almost everything. Plus Wisenhut had 2 successful challenges as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football