Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Stop. The Saints were just the better team yesterday.

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Okay, give me some slack. I'm just being sarcastic about Manning. I think its funny how people on this board love say Favre singlehandedly lost 3 playoff games, even though none of those games involved a pick 6 that was a back breaker. I thought I would throw the same kind of comment out about Manning and see how well it went over. Not very well, lol.

Manning did actually make the backbreaking mistake of the game. But the Colts were outplayed and outhustled most of the game. Saints played a great game and deserve the Lombardi.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Manning did actually make the backbreaking mistake of the game. But the Colts were outplayed and outhustled most of the game. Saints played a great game and deserve the Lombardi.
Holy contradiction batman!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Mannings numbers were good & hes still one of the best qb in the nfl. Its not his fault key passes were dropped. Brees is a good qb & had a great year (just like manning). After the first qt alot of people thought it was going to be a colts blowout. The saints sure turned the game around in the 2nd half. Brees has a trophy wife.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
"Singlehandedly?"

Bullcrap.

You can't tell me he was the one and only Colt from coaches to players that made any mistakes in the game.

Did the receiver contribute to that interception? Could his timing have been off? Could he have run the route too deep before coming back for the ball?

No one singlehandedly loses a game.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
In the end the saints just executed better after a rough satrt whcih is understandable. They took the Colts plans and changed them o defense. That last series was ttpical. The gave them the middle and concentrated on stoppig any run afterwards 'esting the clock. The when the colts got in the red zone they covered well. Not many times you see Manning and the colts pout played in the fourth quarter.Manning was fustrated by what the Saints were able to do by allowing only certain passes and the red zone coverage.It was all about what the saints defense did and not Peyton really.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Very well stated Double H. My question is this, at the point in the game where Manning drove them down the field rather quickly and gets to the 30, if he throws an TD vs the pick 6 do you not think that hits the Saints confidence? Hindsights 20/20 but you gotta belive that game is much more managable tied 24-24 than down by 14 do you not? I dont understand how anyone can say that wasnt a huge turning point in the game.
There is no doubt that interception was a huge moment in the game as well. The reason why I'm tilting toward the on side kick is because of what was the continuation of the latter stages of the second quarter-momentum. The on side kick was a huge gamble, and it was a kick in the teeth to the Colt coaching staff. For the first quarter and halfway through the second quarter, the Colts had their way with the Saints defense. After the Saints drive and the first field goal, the Colts went 3 and out. The Saints meanwhile drove to the Colt 2 yard line and instead of kicking the field goal, went for the touchdown and didn't make it. I was real surprised that Payton made that decision, but maybe I should not have been surprised. Coach Payton showed me right there he was not afraid to gamble to get that touchdown, and even though the play failed, that decision was a little food for thought for the Colts.

The field goal at the end of the half was huge for the Saints. But getting that on side kick underlined the point, they took the recovery, took 5 minutes off the clock, and scored. THAT got the Colts attention for sure! It was only 10 minutes previous that the Who finished their set with their signature song "Won't Get Fooled Again". Well, the Colts got fooled on that one! During halftime Sean Payton's staff was busy with strategy at halftime, and their different defensive looks against the Colts made a difference. To the Colts credit they came back with a touchdown drive of their own.The Saints got Peyton out of his rhythm, and then they got the ball again and scored again. And although the time of possession finished nearly equal, it was clear the Saints wanted to play keep-away with the ball. And after punting twice in the first half, the Saints never punted again.

One observation here. I haven't seen a lot of comment on the other threads regarding Dwight Freeney. He had a good first half, I honestly didn't think he would last a quarter. I remember him having the trainer re-tape his foot at around the 10 minute mark of the third quarter. I imagine by that time the foot was really paining him as I don't remember his name being called on a tackle for the rest of the game (I could be wrong). But give the guy credit for a solid first half; got the sack on Drew Brees in the second quarter.

Through that quarter another gamble that really paid off was the 2 point conversion. At first I thought Lance Moore didn't make it, but credit the CBS camera crew for good work there. And THAT call goes hand in hand with the on side kick call. Both moves were gutsy. Coach Payton was not afraid to give it a roll.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-10-2010 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
The interception for 6 was a huge moment as well. I taped the game, haven't looked at it again yet. I couldn't tell if Reggie Wayne was just leaning a tad the wrong way when Tracey Porter picked the ball for six. He certainly would have gotten his hand in there to swat that ball away if he could. Just credit Porter with one heck of a defensive play on that one.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The interception for 6 was a huge moment as well. I taped the game, haven't looked at it again yet. I couldn't tell if Reggie Wayne was just leaning a tad the wrong way when Tracey Porter picked the ball for six. He certainly would have gotten his hand in there to swat that ball away if he could. Just credit Porter with one heck of a defensive play on that one.
Hey DOUBLE H,

From what I heard, Manning called the same play two plays earlier, on the next play, he went slant right to Collie, and Porter just guessed he was going to do three in a row, jumped it and took it to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football