Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times

Advertisements

The Bears have a "storied" history, but its not really about winning. They had a lot of success pre-superbowl era, but that means nothing to most of us. Lets see....

---Losing to the Colts in the SB, after Hester takes the opening kick to the house

---Still referencing Sid Luckman as the Bears greatest QB ever

---Terrible draft pick, after terrible draft pick, Enis and Salaam stand out.

---Mortgaging our future for Jay Cutler, who has not lived up to any of it (yet)

---Sweetness passing away wayyyy to young

---Firing Ditka at the wrong time

---Still having to watch the Super Bowl Shuffle every time the Bears make the playoffs.

---Having to watch Favre for 2 games every year destroy us (though we turned the tables in recent years, to a point)

---Tearing down most of the old Solider Field and replacing it with a spaceship.

It goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM

897 posts, read 1,688,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
You're right about that!

They were a power in the AFL from 1962-1966.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
I spent much of my life as a Bengals fan, so I still have nightmares over the Niners last drive in SB 23 that was capped with the Montana-to-John Taylor pass that gave SF the lead for good.

When I moved to Indy in '95, and after years of the Bungles, I switched my allegiance. While the loss in this last Super Bowl still hurts, I'd have to say the toughest loss for me as a Colts fan was the '05 divisional round loss to the Steelers. That Colts team, IMO, should've won the Super Bowl, and they choked it away.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Many of them as a seahawks fan:

losing to the cardinals during their 1st regular season game at Qwest wasn't much fun (especially since it was my 1st trip to seattle for a game......)

The aforementioned QB issues.

Missing the playoffs with 10 wins.

Not winning a playoff game for over 20 years.

Anything associated with Ken Behring.

Wasting Cortez Kennedy and some good defenses.

The sour ending to the Kenny Easley years.

Testeverde helmet call (probably the top of a long line of bizarre regular season calls - phil luckett is devil spawn as well, not only was he on this crew but he also colided with an open WR with the ball in the air late in the 4th ....... not to mention the game where the ravens got the extra time on the clock because the refs didn't restart the game clock.......)

super bowl XL

Old 04-28-2010, 06:27 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
You're right about that!
Lol... you guys had rough times too.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I don't know what's worse: being an Eagles fan or being associated with some of these Eagles fans
Ditto. I get so tired of trying to defend my Birds and being embarrased by the complete a** fans that tend to be associated with them.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM

11,250 posts, read 11,022,956 times
As a Bills fan, aside from the 4 SB losses, it had to be.......

THE MUSIC CITY MIRACLE (1999-2000)

To this day, I say it was BS. A forward lateral all the way!

It was the ultimate low point for me as an fan. As mentioned in another thread, my T.V. ended up on the ground in the parking lot of our apartment complex 3 stories below our balcony. Fortunately, there were no passerby's at that moment. And yes, alcohol was very much involved!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Lol... you guys had rough times too.
You betcha!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
The Bears have a "storied" history, but its not really about winning. They had a lot of success pre-superbowl era, but that means nothing to most of us. Lets see....

---Losing to the Colts in the SB, after Hester takes the opening kick to the house

---Still referencing Sid Luckman as the Bears greatest QB ever

---Terrible draft pick, after terrible draft pick, Enis and Salaam stand out.

---Mortgaging our future for Jay Cutler, who has not lived up to any of it (yet)

---Sweetness passing away wayyyy to young

---Firing Ditka at the wrong time

---Still having to watch the Super Bowl Shuffle every time the Bears make the playoffs.

---Having to watch Favre for 2 games every year destroy us (though we turned the tables in recent years, to a point)

---Tearing down most of the old Solider Field and replacing it with a spaceship.

It goes on.

As a Browns fan I can top your misery:

....Last championship in Cleveland..... 1964 Browns 27 Colts 0

....Paul Brown fired by Art Modell, who soon starts the Cincinnati Bengals (prior to last championship)

....Red Right 88- Raiders 14 Browns 12. After a roller coaster ride 1980 season the Browns are on their way to another comeback win. Coach Sam Rutigliano calls a pass play Red Right 88 where he instructs Brian Sipe to throw the ball into Lake Erie if the receiver isn't open. Earlier in the game, kicker Don Cockroft due to the extreme weather conditions missed 2 field goal attempts and had an extra point blocked. The Browns were trailing 14-12, and were going for the win, when Sipe's pass intended for Ozzie Newsome was intercepted by Raiders defensive back Mike Davis ending "The Kardiac Kids" march the Super Bowl. The Raiders went on and won the Super Bowl over the Eagles 27-10.

...The Drive- 1987 AFC Championship Game- Broncos 23 Browns 20 OT- After the Browns went up 20-13 with a Kosar bomb to Brian Brennan, and on the ensuing kick off pinning Denver at their own 2 yard line, Elway proceeds to orchestrate a 98 yd drive in the last 5:02 in regulation to tie the game with a TD to Mark Jackson with 37 seconds remaining. In OT the Browns won the toss, but were forced to punt. Elway drives Denver 60 yds, and Rich Karlis kicks the game winning field goal to send the Broncos to the Superbowl. Many of us in Cleveland still to this day think that the field goal was wide.

....The Fumble- 1988 AFC Championship Broncos 38 Browns 33- After falling behind 21-3 at half time the Browns along with Bernie Kosar and Earnest Byner battle back, and tie the game in the 4th qtr 31-31. Denver goes up 38-31 on a quick drive, but the Browns get the ball back, and drive down the field for what appeared to be the game tying TD. And then... the unthinkable happens. Kosar hands off to Byner who appears to be heading for the endzone, where Broncos defensive back Jeramiah Castille strips the ball causing Byner to fumble at the 2 yd line, with 1:12 left, thus denying Cleveland once again a trip to their first Super Bowl!

....1993 Season Bernie Kosar a fan favorite is cut. In the offseason Bill Belichick acquired Vinny Testaverde from Tampa Bay. Kosar was eventually benched. The Browns started the season 5-2, and after a spectacular win over the hated Pittsburgh Steelers led by 2 outstanding punt returns from Eric Metcalf, things look promising. Testaverde was injured so Kosar had to start against Denver, who humiliated the Browns at home. Kosar's last pass as a Brown was to WR Michael Jackson was good for a TD as time expired, and it was alledged that the play was drawn up in the dirt. The following day, Kosar is cut cited as having diminishing skills. In that same week he is picked up by the Dallas Cowboys who go on to win the Super Bowl, while the Browns finish 7-9 for the 3rd year in a row!

....1995 Art Modell moves the Browns to Baltimore. After a promising 1994 season where the Browns finish 2nd in the AFC Central at 11-5 having one of the top ranked defenses and knocking off the Super Bowl Champion Cowboys in big D, THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS!!! After numerous poor business decisions by Art Modell, forcing him close to bankruptcy, and the inability for he and the City of Cleveland to come to terms about a new stadium on November 6, 1995 Art Modell makes an announcement that he is moving the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore. On a positive note, the NFL allowed Cleveland to retain the history, colors and tradition of the Browns with the promise of a new team in 1999.

....1999- The Browns are back! YES! Football is back where it belongs! However, are the Browns truly back??? Since their return we've seen numerous draft busts, Tim Couch (though I think given a better supporting cast he would have been better)... Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, William Green.. ect.. ect.. as well as a shake up in the front office every 4 years. From 1999 to present the Browns have only played in one playoff game, and it was a loss to our hated rival the Pittsburgh Steelers (after leading for virtually the whole game). Also in that timeframe we saw Art Modell finally reach the Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens!

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. With that, I think with the hiring of Mike Holmgren as VP, and Tom Heckert as the GM I think this is the turning point and better days are to come. But it sure has been rough being a Browns fan! I'm sure once we finally get there, it will be that much sweeter.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:42 PM

608 posts, read 923,674 times
I'm a Rams fan. (Born in St. Louis) Letting Warner go in 2003 may haunt this team for another decade. I hope Bradford turns out to be the answer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football