Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Canon P-150 Portable Scanner (Scan-tini)

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

At the time of buying, this was Canon's only portable scanner, but the reliable brand name attracted me to what I hoped would be an easy to use and quick to set up scanner. Also called the 'Scan-tini', the P-150 is primarily a document scanner, with average capability for color and dpi that make it unsuitable for capturing detail or for use with large images.
It can hold 20 sheets in a fold out feed tray, and scan 15 pages per minute in black and white and 10 in color, which make it as good as some fixed scanners that I've used in the past. In terms of portability, as it weighs just over 2 pounds it's easy to fit into most bags. I would prefer it if the casing was a bit more durable, as it doesn't seem like it would stand up to any knocks or bangs and mine already has a slight crack along the side. However, the most important part element of the Canon's portability is that it doesn't require a power lead, and powers itself from your computers USB, saving you carrying around even more accessories. At 6ft long, the USB cable should stretch as far as necessary.
The software is as easy to use as any other product of Canon's, and allows plug and play connection if you need to use it in a hurry. TWAIN and ISIS drivers are helpful, especially if you often work with PDF files. The only drawback of the Canon is that occasionally I found the there wasn't enough support for the documents to avoid them becoming skewed and scanning incorrectly. However, this is only occasional, and depends on how you insert the pages so it's perfectly easy to avoid making mistakes. The Canon Scan-tini is one of the best portable scanners available, and the odd page that doesn't scan straight is a problem that comes with the territory of portable scanners. It isn't enough to discourage from a great product with Canon's well respected name behind it.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews