Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 05:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,602,632 times

Advertisements

Summer Infant Complete Coverage Color Video Monitor Set with 7" LCD Screen and 1.8" Handheld Unit

summer-infant-complete-coverage-color-video-monitor-part-2 photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I bought this system for my sister when she had her first child. Though I had never felt the need for a video monitor with my own kids, my sister wanted to cover all the bases.

Though I wasn't sure about it at first, I am now completely sold on video monitoring in addition to sound monitoring. This system is great because it comes with a regular screen, like a television screen, that you can prop on a nightstand and view in the middle of the night. However, unlike other unites, this one also comes with a portable video screen, which is great for parents (like my sister) who work in a home office after baby goes to sleep. It's also great to have a portable screen for use while parents are in the shower or watching television.

Video systems are also great for older kids. When they stop yapping, you know something's wrong. With this system, my sister's older kids can be in the playroom and their mom can check on them without having to tromp down the stairs.

There are some problems with the battery in the handheld device. It doesn't seem to charge unless the battery is completely run out. While the battery lasts only nine hours, this isn't really a problem most of the time, but when you need the handheld and the battery is dead (even though it's been charging all day) then there's a problem.

The other major problem is that the signal to the handheld isn't always very strong. Even when it's no farther from the camera than the fixed monitor, the picture quality can be very poor and the sound is muffled and scratchy. In closer range, though it's not a problem. It's a great system and a great idea, but there are a few kinks that need to be worked out.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews