Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

SPT Portable Air Conditioner, 7500 BTUs, WA-7500M

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

This unit was better than other ones we tried but still wasn't great. We have been looking for a portable unit to use in my son's attic bedroom. It does not have a standard window, so we're unable to use a window unit. I will say that in my experience with window units, they cool a room much, much better than any portable unit I've tried. However, that simply isn't an option for us.

Overall this unit works very efficiently and without using a ton of electricity. I've seen window units double the electric bill while this one only raised it about $30 to $40 depending on how frequently my son was running it. Though it is very efficient, it's also extremely loud. Loud enough that I would not use it in any other area of my home, as we have a toddler who's a light sleeper. If this were in my bedroom I would likely not be able to sleep through the noise.

One of the other benefits of this unit is that it's pretty lightweight. By that I mean that it does weigh 60 pounds. I'm able to move it on my own but it's certainly not as light as a space heater. It's also fairly cumbersome to drain the water that collects in it. It works by evaporating water so the hotter and more humid it is in a room, the more water it's going to collect. You have to actually attach a special house to remove the water. My son does this and seems to have it down to a science after doing it a few times.

We paid around $500 for this unit and it was higher than many other units. If I had it to do all over again, I would not spend the money on this unit.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews