Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Bare-Tool Makita BJR182Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Reciprocating Saw

bare-tool-makita-bjr182z-18-volt-lxt-lithium-ion-cordless photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

My primary reason for buying a Makita reciprocating saw rather than another brand is that I already owned the batteries and charging base from another Makita cordless tool.

The Makita battery system is easy to use and very efficient. Batteries usually charge in about fifteen minutes. In this tool, I found that heavy work tended to super heat the battery and then drain it of power. In order to charge the battery again, it had to be cooled and then charged, which more than doubles the charging time.

However, for those brief minutes when it's really working, it is quite powerful for its size and is capable of chopping through nearly every material I've tried. I installed recess lighting under kitchen cabinets that required a few small holes, and it easily and cleanly cut through the pine cabinetry. It also works to trim even the thick part of rose bushes.

At just under eight pounds, the balance is decent, with a wide grip with very useful finger indentations. The front grip keeps fingers away from the blades while providing proper support and control. The tool sturdily constructed, with no worries of getting it dirty or denting it with everyday use.

Though Makita claims the blades are easy to change, I have had varying experiences. The system itself is simple but finicky. Any mud or plaster will keep the blade from fitting properly which, along with being dangerous, causes vibrations through the tool and uneven cut lines. It might be the blades I'm using rather than the tool, but the fact that I've tried a few different brands with similar results seems to indicate a fault with the tool.

Overall, though, the saw provides exceptional power for the weight, the extreme ease of a cordless model, and a good, useable design. I like that it works with the Makita battery system, though it does take a more powerful battery than some of the very popular Makita tools, like the cordless drill.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews