Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Ryobi ZRHP696 9.6V Cordless Drill

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

Ryobi makes some fine products, the Ryobi cordless drills are no different. I picked it up from Home Depot on sale for around 30.00 for some trellis building I was doing. I put the drill through it's paces, I used it everday for two months and it never seemed to loose power as long as the battery was charged.
The battery works fairly well for the first hour or so, so I purchased a second battery to keep on the charger.

The torque is enough for any light/medium duty job. I used it to drill through two inch thick plywood. The drill very seldom was bogged down until the battery would go low. The batteries the ZRHP696 comes with have a pretty long life if they're not in use. They last about a week of just sitting around. The batteries also charge pretty quickly, a full charge is achieved in a little over an hour and a half.

The cons for this drill are pretty limited for most people. There are drills that hold a charge longer and have more power, but not in the $40 price range. To get a better drill, most people would have to pay at least double the cost of the ZRHP696. The battery life is great for most people who just need a drill for one job, but when constantly run, the drill tends to loose a lot of it's luster. The power wanes after the battery starts getting low, which is normal, but no where near the top of the line drills for power or performance longevity.

All in all, the drill works fine for most people who aren't looking to spend an arm and a leg on a drill. It is not, however, an upgrade from an older more powerful drill. The clutch is easy to run, bits come out quickly and with little trouble. The best part is how easily the ZRHP696 switches speeds in a job with an easing or pressuring of the trigger which is very visible.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews