U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,533,844 times

Advertisements

Black and Decker 18Volt Drill
Black and Decker is one of the best and well known brands of home tools and appliances. They have been around a long time and most of the tools in our garage are Black and Decker. My husband only considers this brand and the Craftsman brand when he is purchasing power tools. I also use a lot of power tools and have had no problems with this drill or any other tool from the Black and Decker Company.
This particular drill was purchased by my husband because of the power it has and because he wanted a good cordless drill. The retail price of this drill can run from $169 to $200 dollars depending on where it is purchased. We bought ours from Lowes where we were able to get it on sale with a coupon for around $170 dollars about 10 months ago.
There is a high and low gear setting on the drill and the user will always know how much battery power is left because there is a battery level indicator. There is also a feature on the drill where you can push a picture icon and the drill will adjust itself to the power and speed level for that project. We have not used this feature as of yet, because we drill holes for shelves and for other wall objects, and don't really need to access this feature, yet.
This drill is easy to hold, even for a woman. However, it does seem to get heavier as time goes on and for someone who uses it on a sporadic occasion, it may be too much to handle. My husband likes the power it delivers and the quickness of the screwdriver tip to complete his projects. The previous drills we have purchased were all corded ones, which don't have enough length of cord and do not seem to deliver the same power that this drill does.
The only real problem with this drill has been that the chuck doesn't seem to hold tight, although it could be that I don't have the strength to get it tight enough. My husband doesn't seem to have this problem and I let him change the drill bits for me. Other than this, it sure beats using a manual screwdriver or a corded less powerful model. I anticipate using this drill for many years and sticking with the Black and Decker Company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews