Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

GE Profile 30 In. Built-In Gas Downdraft Cooktop Model # PGP989DNBB

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

This gas downdraft cooktop has been in our home for six years. It has a sleek black design with four burners on top of a flat glass ceramic top. In the middle is the exhaust system and the controls for the burners. It not only looks good, but works good. The gas burners provide an even, steady flame to the cookware, unless the powerful exhaust system is on. If the exhaust system is on, it tends to pull the flame towards the center of the cooktop and it is sometimes necessary to move the cookware accordingly, so that the flame is in the center of the pot or pan. This is typically an adjustment of only 1-2 inches.

The continuous grates are made of a cast iron material. While the entire cooktop and continuous grates are heavy and feel very sturdy, they are evenly balanced on the cooktop by small metal pins. The grates are able to be lifted off and put into the dishwasher, which is great feature, but in doing so one of mine came loose and now the grate is uneven. Although it is slight, it is annoying to put down a pan or pot and hear the grate drop down to the cooktop, and I feel this compromises the sturdiness of the pans.

The top of the exhaust system as well as the control knobs also come off easily for quick cleaning. I have noticed that the cooktop itself is a little more difficult to clean than a regular cooktop if there is a spill. Over time the cooktop has become more difficult to clean and does not look as good as it did when it was new. I enjoy cooking on this particular model and would certainly consider purchasing a new one when this one no longer works.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews