Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

TORO 38361 Power Shovel 7.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower

toro-38361-power-shovel-75-amp-electric-snow-thrower photo
Rating: 1 out of 5
  • Currently 1.0/5.0

I did a lot of research before I purchased the TORO electric snow thrower and surprisingly it did have really good reviews. I can only guess that these people don't live in an area that gets as much snow as I do. For $149.99 I wasn't expecting it to get through a foot of snow but I was expecting it to move something in its path.

First I will say that it is Eco-friendly since it is electric and it does have a handy cord lock system to keep your extension cord plugged in which is a nice safety feature. It was also easy to assemble and it has a nice adjustable handle. That being said, although the features are nicely thought out, it would help if it actually worked.

The TORO snow thrower has a 7.5 amp electric motor and it weighs 12 pounds due to its plastic body. It claims to toss snow 20 feet and clear decks, sidewalks and driveways and it suggests that it will save your back instead of shoveling. I strongly disagree. The first time I took it out, there was only about an inch of snow and it cleared fine but not any faster than I could have shoveled it and it doesn't blow the snow in one direction, you have to aim it or wear it. The next time I used it we had a moderate amount of snow, a few inches and this thing wouldn't do anything. It definitely will not move heavy snow, it just stopped like it was clogged but if you skimmed the top layer of snow it worked fine. So I guess if you want to carry the thrower, sweeping one layer at a time off your snow pile than I guess that would be an adventure. My back actually hurt worse trying to use this thing so I tossed it to the curb and picked up my shovel.

If you live in an area that gets more than an inch of snow at a time, save your money and use your shovel or invest a bit more money in a better quality unit.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews