Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Craftsman 33 gal. Air Compressor, 1.6 hp, Horizontal Tank, 150 Max PSI

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

This 33 gallon air compressor from Craftsman has worked perfectly for its intended use since I purchased it over three years ago. With regular use for simple auto work like bolting on tires and removing them on the weekends, and storing it in my garage, it has worked every weekend I've powered it up since 2007. It's been maintenance free, somewhat quiet, and adequate for my home mechanic uses in every manner.

This horizontal air compressor is, first of all, maintenance free. All oil is inside, and since it's a sealed system there's no oil to change or add. And at 78 decibels it does run pretty loud, but it meets ISO quiet standards per ISO3744 for quiet. In short it's not so loud that it's annoying outside, but when it's filling you don't want it next to your head. Since it works well, I don't complain much about the noise, but if you live in an area such as a townhouse complex where your neighbors are likely to complain, you may not want to use this compressor.

One of my favorite things about this machine is that since it's a horizontal setup, you can stow it away on a large garage shelf. With a vertical compressor, sometimes they're harder to store. Not so with this machine. You can tuck it away under most shelves in the garage, and it stays out of the way of the cars and kids until you need to use it. Also, with its shorter cord you don't have to wind up the cord around it. You can just use your extension cord to take it wherever you need it.

In short this compressor is great if you're doing regular automotive work on the weekends. It's easy to use, easy to store away (even though it's 33 gallons), and has almost no maintenance required because of the sealed oil system. It's been quiet enough for my neighborhood - no one has complained. Because this has lasted me three years, almost 150 weekends of use, I figure that at $279 it costs me less than two dollars every time I use it. Now that's a real value! Thank you Craftsman!

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews