Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

DeWalt DC759KA 1/2 13mm 18V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I actually acquired this drill from my best friend who used it for his job as a construction superintendant for a couple years. I've since been using it for doing projects around the house, so I know it has a wide range of uses from professional to personal.
This DeWalt is cordless and relies on a lithium ion battery pack. You plug the charger into the wall and the drill sits upright in the charger's cradle. The battery holds its charge great. I charged it nearly a month ago, and have had it sitting unplugged in a drawer ever since. I took it out to take down some window blinds the other day, and it still had a charge.
It is lightweight and easy for me, a non-professional, to use. I figured out how to change the drill bits without any instructions, though it took me a couple tries. I mostly use it for screwing and unscrewing little things around the house. I am in the process of moving, and it has been invaluable for taking down/putting up blinds, assembling/disassembling furniture, hanging shelves and pictures, etc. I also built a large wooden cage last year using only this DeWalt 18v drill, a handsaw, and a hammer. That was my first attempt at building something alone at home, and it turned out great.
The chuck, which holds the bits, is secure, and I haven't had any problems with slippage. I'm impressed with the power of this drill. It had no trouble biting into solid oak, though the wood made an awful squeaking sound. But it didn't split or chip. The DeWalt 18v has great torque, good craftsmanship, long battery life, and a lightweight easy to handle casing. The only drawback is that they are rather expensive for casual use at around $150.00. But if you have the opportunity to own one for work, don't forget to take it home on the weekends for all of your projects around the house.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews