Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

The 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport is my first foray ever into sports utility vehicles. Previously, I had only ever driven hand-me-down cars that I never really "wanted" per se. So this was the first vehicle I ever really desired and it really made a Jeep lover out of me.

To just get it out of the way, let's be upfront in saying that the Jeep, until a couple of years ago, was never meant to be a luxury vehicle in any shape, sense or form. It is a rough and rugged off-road vehicle. As such, I've become accustomed to the noisy ride inherent in a Jeep with a rag top. you really have to crank up your radio to hear it over the wind rushing by once you get over 45 mph. The suspension works great for off-roading, of course, but on the other hand you do feel every bump. Of course, the Jeep can drive over just about anything so it's a good trade-off.

The model I bought, the Sport, is pretty nice in that it comes with full doors (as opposed to the cloth doors on many Jeeps), a 6-cylinder engine (better than the weak 4-cylinders found in many Jeeps), air conditioning and a CD player. The doors are removable, so don't expect to find automatic windows or side airbags. That's nto good if safety is a major factor for you, but the Jeep does have a roll cage for good reason. The roll bars are removable if you want the more old school Jeep look, though Jeep highly recommends you do not do so.

The only problems I've had with the '01 Jeep that do not involve me taking it off-road where I should not have involve the four-wheel drive and a minor recall that was quickly remedied. The recall involved the mechanics putting an additional manifold cover on the engine to prevent leaves from catching fire should they get sucked under the hood, and the four-wheel drive controls on the Jeep have always given me problems. The control never feel like they're locked in and quite often it takes a minute or two to get the Jeep in or out of 4-wheel drive.

Because of that, I only give the Jeep 4 out of 5 stars. I'd like to give it a 5 because of the feeling I get being part of the "Jeep club" (which comes replete with other Jeep drivers waving at you on the road) and the fact that I think I'll always drive a Jeep, but it isn't necessarily perfect.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews