Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Kenmore 16649 Grill

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

At the beginning of summer, I invested in a Kenmore gas grill because I love cooking out and I have a lot of items with the Kenmore name that I am happy with. The Kenmore gas grill is a little more expensive than the other grills with similar features. It is a large grill with five burners and a rotisserie burner. It is constructed with heavy stainless steel grates and claims an output of 64,000 BTU per hour.

The grill has an electron igniter and the entire grill is mostly made of stainless. It is made to be sturdy and durable. While the design and construction of the grill are very advantageous, the actual working of the burners and the flame system are in a different category.

I was glad I tried the grill out on my family before I invited a lot of friends over to put it to the test. I thought the five burners would make it easy to grill in large quantities but they turned out to be poor quality. They don't reach a high enough temperature and it takes a long time to cook. In six months time, after using the grill maybe twelve times, the gas line had to be replaced. Within another month, the knobs and the grates have stopped working and had to be replaced as well.

Although while it was working, the grill did cook food evenly, it was more like I was slow-cooking than grilling the food. It is large enough to handle large outings and even has a sturdy cart with a lot of space to store accessories. The problem is with the performance of the grill. It is more useful for small groups than for large gatherings.

The first time I used the grill, the side searing burner caught on fire. I have also had several instances where grease has gotten on the burner covers and started a fire which ruins the food. Although I have learned how to avoid the circumstances that cause the worst problems, the grill has been a disappointment.

If you are looking for a grill that offers a large grilling capacity with quality you can depend on, this is one instance where the Kenmore name is a let down. This grill just doesn't have the durability that you would expect from the brand name or from the stainless steel construction. If you are looking for a grill that will cook food evenly for just you and your family, then you may get what you need from it.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews