U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 04:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,157,272 times

Advertisements

Black & Decker D5500 Digital Evolution 1500-Watt Steam Iron with Ceramic Soleplate

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I had a very bad experience with a really cheap iron and I decided to splurge a little and purchased this B&D model. I am so happy that I made the decision to do so. First of all, it has a ceramic plate rather than a stainless steel one, which I find glides over fabrics quite nicely. It also has an easy to read digital display, rubberized buttons, a very comfortable rubber grip, 3 different steam settings, and it auto-cleans which is such a convenience.

For those who are absent-minded like myself, one of the best features is that this iron turns itself off if left in any of 3 positions. I constantly leave my iron plugged in so in the interest of not burning the house down, this is quite nice for me. The digital display makes the temperature controls very easy to use and very easy to set, which is great for technologically dimwitted people, such as myself. When I see things that are digital I am automatically wary that I will not know how to work them, but this one is extremely simple.

I like the easy to use temperature controls, though it is a little annoying to reset the temperature every time I plug the iron back in, and there is also no option to leave the steamer on at all times so everytime you want steam to come out you have to hit a button. I like to have my iron steam the entire time I am using it so I find myself constantly having to turn on the steamer. My only other complaint is that you need to hold the iron at a slightly awkward angle to fill the water. For these small and rather insignificant downfalls, I have rated a 4 rather than 5 but I am really very impressed with this iron. I got it at a great sale price and compared to other irons in the same price range I think the features are far superior. I actually went and bought my mom the same iron and she loves it too!

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews