Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Spalding NBA 68395 Portable Basketball Hoop

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Spalding has long been a name that I've depended on for sports balls and other equipment so it was a no-brainer when I decided to upgrade the basketball equipment my son was using. I bought the old basketball hoop when he was five, and by the time he got serious enough about playing, we had worn it out.

The 54" backboard on the Spalding is larger and more like real competition than the previous goal we had. The fiberglass on the old unit was a bit warped, but the Spalding has stayed true since we bought it last year. Although the two were built in similar fashion, the new goal is of better construction.

We debated on getting an in ground pole, but because we had an excellent place to use on the concrete, it was naturally better to stick with the portable model. The last time, I had used water to fill the base, so this time we went through the laborious task of filling it with sand. When we get ready to move the goal, it will be much harder to empty than the water was, but I think it makes the unit less shaky.

The price of $689.94 isn't that much for a full contained unit like this one, and my son loves it. If I had an opportunity to get another goal, I would probably get a backboard only that we could mount on a more substantial surface, maybe off the side of the house. Even though this is a much better piece of equipment than we had before, it still has a lot of movement when the ball hits the rim.

The design of any portable goal is more of an inherent problem than the non-portable types, but because it does move so much, I have to give it only a four star rating out of five.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews