Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,534,307 times

Advertisements

Honda Gas Powered Generator EU6500iSA

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I inherited my father's cabin in the West Virginia mountains. It had been a six-room shack, but we had constantly added to it with improvements until it had become a nice getaway. The problem we had always had was electrical service. When there was an outage anywhere, our power was gone.

I made it a top priority to get a generator that we could carry up when we went to stay for the weekend or longer. It was my wife's idea to have a generator that we could carry back and forth with us so we had a backup at home, too. That's why the Honda was such a good choice. The smaller units would have done well for the cabin, but we needed more power at home.

The 6500 watt generator was our selection because it not only supplies enough power to get us by at home, but it can maintain a voltage consistent enough to run our computers, too. It did have a hefty $4,999.95 price tag.

Although it weighs close to 300 pounds, it rolls easily on smooth ground. I have a small trailer we use to transport it whenever we need to carry it with us. We sometimes camp out and use it for power rather than getting a hookup.

Of course, there is noise when you run a gas motor, but the Honda is amazingly quiet, and it throttles down when there's not much demand.

The electronic ignition is such a great feature so that anyone in the family can crank the generator without any effort. We decided to pay extra for the remote start so we can power it down when everyone's ready for bed, and crank it back in the morning without having to go out to it.

The 4.5 gallon fuel tank easily powers the Honda for over 12 hours. If the demand is not that much, we can get by with a tank of gas per day.

There's some aggravation with any generator. You have to plan how to hook it into your service, and that's not always the same from one application to another.

For the use at only one location, the fixed generator would be a better way to go and it could have a relay to come on automatically, but our Honda works well for the many uses we have for it. Aside from a little inconvenience and noise, it would be hard to find a better product to use in emergencies.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,876 times
I have the EM7000is which is a inverter type, it was the prelude to the EU6500. I have owned now for maybe 8 years and hear is my take, I absolutely love my Honda, always starts, after using it for a couple few years, I had it converted to a tri-fuel from generatorsales.com and ran a NG line 10 feet from kitchen stove to back porch and also have a transfer switch installed. OK. what do I run, everything from a 2 horsepower well pump, sum pumps, sewage pumps (not all at the same time) it also runs my home office with 6 computers, runs the 53" plasma and LED big screens and of course the furnace. I do use a 110 AC in upper master bedroom during power outages, not central air, We had a long (6 day) power outage once, I had it running 23 hours a day. A few people in my neighborhood who sneered at me buying a Honda and for spending more than them, all have had to either retire there generators or repaired quite often since then and none of them ran them as long as I did. I no longer have to keep allot of gas on hand but I think this is really important. During outages before I converted to a tri-fuel, I found I used 1/2 the gas that a neighbor with a larger size, secondly my Honda will do what its rated for. My buddies with cheaper ones with a so called higher wattage, those did not deliver what they claimed. So yes I have been using this for 8 years or so, always starts, runs quietly, run in back yard and while in the front yard, I hear the neighbors generator running in there back yard 5 houses down, not mine. we have had maybe 20 outages in the 8 years because we live in a heavily wooded area. I change the plugs and oil every year or 2, unless running heavily. Honestly I cant see me ever selling it, and cant see it ever letting me down which I cant say about my last generator. I love the ECO throttle which will vary the engine speed based on power being used, (saves allot of gas)people complaining about engine surging need to turn off the ECO throttle. The thing with Honda's, your supposed to run them as engineered, don't take off the sides when running or battery compartment and don't keep choke on (Why would you), most complaints I see are because they didn't read the owners manual which is really really basic. I bet I will have this another 20 years

Last edited by jonny58; 02-24-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 06:55 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,862,341 times
Ok if you have gas. In a EMP zero gas availability . I prefer clueless generators with solar and crank features . $2600.00

Jim Bakker Show
Glenn Beck show

Old 10-13-2015, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Ok if you have gas. In a EMP zero gas availability . I prefer clueless generators with solar and crank features . $2600.00

Jim Bakker Show
Glenn Beck show
well mine will take NG, propane or gasoline, what more can I do, I do play with other alternative energies including woodgas, but I am in a heavily wooded area, so solar is the toughest to do, I would love to get my hand on an old WW2 crank generator for kicks. and the last 8 years I have lived easier than most when the lights go out with what I have. My I ask which solar crank generator your purchased for $2600
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews