U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,163,113 times

Advertisements

2006 Cheverolet Aveo

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

When my 13 year old Cheverolet Cavalier finally gave up its last agonizing breath, I wanted to make sure that the car that would replace it would be just as reliable and long lived as it had been. I had really wanted a hybrid vehicle for the environmental impact and gas mileage, though sadly my income would not allow for that. Thus, I began looking at possible alternatives. I had grown to love the Cheverolet brand, and so I looked there first. Within my price range of about $13,000, the Chevy Aveo 2006 model priced in at MSRP $12,322 new. In comparison, I was also considering the Toyota Yaris 2006, which had an MSRP of $14165. In truth I preferred the Yaris' design and the slightly better gas mileage at 29mpg in the city to the Aveo's projected 25mpg in the city. Likewise, I was impressed with the fact that the Yaris sported the same fuel efficient gas engine that was used in the hybrid model of the Toyota Prius.

However, when the numbers were crunched, I just couldn't afford the monthly note the Yaris would come to. And so, after some more shopping around, I settled on the Cheverolet Aveo. It has proven to be a wise choice in itself. The overall design of the car is highly aerodynamic, giving it a rounded and blunt look that easily chops through the air. The smaller tires aid in the fuel efficiency of the car, which achieved 35mpg on the highway and averages around 27mpg in city traffic. As far as features go, the Aveo does not sport a lot of extra gadgetry. The radio is a simple AM/FM stereo with CD player capable of playing MP3 CDs. One stereo feature missing in the 2006 model that was included in later models is an auxiliary in jack allowing for MP3 player hook up. There is no GPS or OnStar, for those who deem these features important. There is a cruise control and time delay windshield wiper feature, though these features cannot be adjusted for speed, having only one speed. There are power locks, but these have no internal controls and are only activated by the remote control on the key.

The car itself is quite reliable. It is smaller in build, and so maneuvering in and out of tight parking is much easier. The controls are easy and straightforward. The brakes are highly responsive and the control panel gives immediate warning if anything is amiss with the engine or airbags. The Aveo seems to be a very safe car to drive. It meets current EPA standards and gets a better gas mileage than other sedans, even if it is not a hybrid. I have, thus far, been very pleased with it.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews