Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Murray, Inc. Push Mower 08M

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Purchased in the summer of 2009, this is Home Depot's least expensive, gas-powered, push mower at $149.00. No attachments were purchased and it is their standard, low-cost, model for 2009. Perfect for our barely sloped, small yard, it is relatively lightweight and easy to push and maneuver. Push mowers are priced as high as $500, depending on the engine power and body weight/size. It has a red body, black handle, and, of course rubber wheels. The design is geared for easy accessibility and getting the cover off, for oiling, or filling the tank with gas are both handy. This mower can handle 4 or 5 inch growth with no problem. Even small sticks succumb to the machines blades, so you can leave a few under ¼" diameter and not worry about them hurting the blades. The machine functions well, with the exception that it will stop running if you don't move it for a while, a safety feature, perhaps, and a good one, withal. The only problem for a woman is starting it; it takes quite a bit of pull-power to bring the machine to life, so we've ended up grabbing a neighbor to start it for us. We didn't think about that when we were purchasing it, and the salesman at Home Depot was trying to help several customers at once; I'm sure it didn't cross his mind to alert us. I might have purchased an electric mower instead! The first person to use the mower was my grandson and he applied too much strength. The plate that holds the starter rope in place cracked and it had to be replaced. Once replaced it has operated reliably ever since then, and I am satisfied with its overall performance. At the time I didn't know about self-propelled machines and probably would have thought about purchasing that type. You can see I didn't do my homework on this purchase. Shame on me!

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews