Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,602,632 times

Advertisements

Frigidaire FFC0923DW 8-4/5-Cubic-Foot Manual-Defrost Chest Freezer

frigidaire-ffc0923dw-8-4-5-cubic-foot-manual-defrost photo
Rating: 1 out of 5
  • Currently 1.0/5.0

I like to buy food in bulk. My family eats a lot of hamburger and chicken nuggets and ice cream sandwiches. To keep costs down, I thought an extra freezer would be a great idea.

There are aspects of this unit that I like. For instance, the design is quite good. Though it seems like it would be difficult to keep things organized and visible in a chest freezer, this one overcomes that obstacle with their shelving system. The sliding bins on the top work well if you store a lot of smaller things. I keep a lot of ice cream and frozen vegetables, so this is ideal for my purposes. Larger items like frozen turkeys and big packages of frozen fish filets fit nicely in the bottom. I occasionally forget what I have stored down there because it isn't immediately visible.

Though the design overcomes the problems inherent in the chest freezer concept, my particular unit was extremely poorly constructed. Very shortly after receiving the freezer, I realized one of the door hinges was broken. Because of this, the door did not sit correctly, which allowed in warm air and melted the top layer of food in the freezer.

After the hinge was replaced and I thought everything was fine. When I realized much of the food close to the door was still not as frozen as it should be. I used a portable thermometer to discover that the freezer was much warmer than it said it was. Then I found out the door was not sealing correctly, despite the new hinge. The door was simply misaligned with the rest of the unit, which is what caused the crack in the hinge to begin with.

Aspects of this freezer are great, mostly the design of he unit. If this unit had been properly constructed, I probably would have been very satisfied. As it is, though, I am extremely disappointed.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews