Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,602,632 times

Advertisements

GE GBSL0HCXRLS 20.3 cu. Ft. Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator with Right Hinge Door

ge-gbsl0hcxrls-203-cu-ft-bottom-freezer-refrigerator photo
Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

I wanted to get a bottom-freezer refrigerator because the design just made sense to me. It makes sense to have the foods I look for the most (things in the refrigerator) to be at eye level. I settled on this make and model mostly because of the price.

I do love the way it looks. The CleanSteel GE uses on the finish is actually pretty good. While things still get dirty, is does show fewer smudges than my stainless steel appliances, though I still have to use a stainless steel cleaner to get it clean without streaks. When I picked the refrigerator out, I loved the curve at the top of the appliance. However, now that it's installed within the cabinets, the curve leaves awkward triangles of space on the top corners. I think the curve would be attractive if it was a free standing appliance, but it doesn't look good surrounded by cabinets with only straight lines.

I love the ice maker and would now never buy a refrigerator without one. I like that the unit is compact for my small kitchen. I don't find the freezer, with top shelf and large drawer, to hold as much as a regular freezer. Perhaps because things have to be stacked one atop the other without having the advantage of the side view, it seems harder to find anything.

Another problem is with placement of shelves. Tall drink containers are difficult to fit. There is a place on the door intended for tall containers, but really only fits a single pitcher or two two-liters of soda. To get enough verticle space in the main compartment, the upper shelves need to be placed so close together that regular-sized Tupperware containers barely fit.

A final problem, which I have had with a different model of GE refrigerator, is that the seal on the door has come unattached and consequently lets in a great deal of warm air, which spoils food and costs money. I have had the seal replaced, but I would rather it never happened in the first place.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews