Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Skil 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2-in Drill/Driver Kit Model No. 2895LI-04

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I had an earlier model 3/8" Skil that was similar to this one. The batteries played out and I debated on whether to get new ones, but decided to invest in this heavier duty model instead. I use cordless drills in my work so it is important that I have dependable tools.

This battery is supposed to hold a charge up to 18 months because of the new kind of battery, but I haven't left it sitting around for a year and a half to find out if that is true or not. Since it comes with a spare battery, I can pretty much use it continually during the day without a backup. The Lithium-ion batteries do last for a long time and charge back quickly.

I haven't had a need to use any drill bits with a 1/2" chuck yet because most of the work I do is with small bits and I use it for a driver. I'm sure the drill will operate a larger drill bit on a full charge, but I wouldn't think it would be good for drilling through steel plates or other hard materials. That would be better with a corded drill.

The suggested list price for this drill is a hefty $305.56 at the Skil site, but you can buy it for a good deal less in some places.

The side handle screws in on either side for the left or right handed person. Unless you are using the tool for tough drilling, the handle is better left off and out of the way.

The one thing I miss most with this drill is the light that my old one had. It would come on anytime you pulled the trigger so it was easy see the place where you were working. This one does sit on a surface the same way that my old one did.

The kit comes with the drill, a hard shell carrying case, charger, two batteries, and two bits. For most people, it's plenty of tool for what they will need it for. If the use is for a driver only, it is exactly the tool you need.

For about $100 more, Skil has a combination kit with drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, and flashlight. This might be a better fit for someone who doesn't do any major tasks but needs the other tools. I believe this drill compares favorably to any cordless model.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews