Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Scan Snap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner

scan-snap-s1500-instant-pdf-sheet-fed-scanner photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

My workplace frequently needs to produce PDF documents of forms that have been filled out, and employs the use of a Scan Snap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner in our daily workflow. The forms that have been filled out in person are then fed into the device, which produced secure PDFs of the scanned documents for digital storage and electronic transfer. We have been able to cut back on the amount of paper storage in limited storage space, as well as find documents by electronic search quickly when needed. The scanner is compact and takes up little more than a corner on a desk, well out of the way. It can scan twenty pages a minute and is very quick, if a bit noisy as it works. The device can scan in color with vivid sharp images, although our daily usage makes more use of the black and white scanning feature for creating a smaller file size.

Although I do not personally use these features, the device is capable of auto detecting page size, either letter or legal, and can also crow and rotate if needed. Also, a feature we know the unit has that we do not employ too often is password protection and individual user accounts. We do not handle sensitive material, but for a company needing to keep information secure and private, these security features do exist on the Scan Snap.

Documents can be sent directly to Microsoft Office programs or Adobe programs for editing and managing. Potential buyers should be warned, though, this device only works on Windows platforms, so Mac users beware. As I do not purchase the ink for the device, I do not know how expensive replacement cartridges are, although I would guess that excessive color printing would cause the ink to be used up fairly quickly and in need of replacement often after vigorous use. The unit comes with included software and Adobe Acrobat's latest Reader version. Some downsides to the device are lack of multi-port interface, such as card readers or wifi or Bluetooth connectivity. The device connects to computers via hi speed USB, which is very quick.
I would most likely recommend this device to office personnel who need secure PDF and document creation. Given the lack of user interface and connectivity to various devices, it would likely not be the best choice for home use with so many other devices out there that do have such interfaces. Furthermore, the device is $470, which is a bit out of the budget range for the average family who have moderate scanning needs. For home use, an HP copier/scanner/printer device for around $200 would be the better choice.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews