Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Dyson DC14

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

Since 2005 we have owned a Dyson DC14 vacuum. In 2005 we paid around $350 for this vacuum, and it has turned out to be one of the most durable items we have used around our household. From quality to ease of use, owning the Dyson product has been an extremely pleasant experience. Everyone in our home is equally pleased with this item.

The first thing that sets the Dyson apart from other vacuums is that you can see how full the trash area is all times. The clear plastic housing that shows where all the trash goes shows you just how much scum you have sucked up while you're working. Other vacuums that have a bag system do not allow for you to see how full your vacuum is with trash; instead you have to judge how full it is by how well or poorly the suction effect is. The advantage here is that you don't waste time taking the vacuum apart to feel how full the trash bag is, you just take a look and if it's too full you dump it. And dumping it is extremely easy - just activate a latch and it falls out of the bottom and into your garbage can.

The second thing that I enjoy most about this vacuum is its level of suction. Around the kitchen we use this vacuum to clean up crumbs from underneath the children after they snack. When I am cleaning up under the children, the vacuum sucks so hard that I don't even need to use an attachment to get all of the crumbs; I just run the extended end of the vacuum under the seats and up comes all of the trash. Once I am done vacuuming the larger parts, I then put the vacuum into its upright mode on the "bare floors" setting and clean the entire kitchen area. This is a very versatile machine.

The only real complaint I have with the machine is that sometimes items get stuck where the tubing enters the trash reservoir. In that case I actually have to use a clothes-hanger or some other device to take out the trash. While this is not hard to do, it does cause some frustration. It is especially frustrating when one piece of trash causes multiple pieces to get hung up in there. But Dyson has done a good job ensuring that the vacuum can be disassembled easily enough that trash can be removed, so even if the job is frustrating it's still possible to solve the problem. The parts are modular enough to work with and solve most any problem.

All in all the Dyson DC14 is a very versatile machine. It's easy to disassemble and reassemble, clean, use and enjoy. At first we thought we really enjoyed vacuuming because we had a Dyson, but after the excitement wore off we realized we had a very functional, simple-to-use, and durable machine. I have no doubt we'll be using this machine until the "wheels fall off." Thank you Dyson for making such a great vacuum.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews