Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Bare-Tool Makita BJV180Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless *** Saw

bare-tool-makita-bjv180z-18-volt-lxt-lithium-ion-cordless photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

This tool is wonderful is you have other tools from the Makita line. If you have committed to the Makita lithium battery system, then this is a nice addition. Though the batteries on his particular tool don't last as long as on other tools, like my small drill, having a spare battery, up and charged, is a great asset.

I generally prefer cordless tools, which partly explains my attachment to the Makita line. Having this cordless *** saw makes sawing things that aren't straight lines much easier.

As a recreational furniture builder and home improver, I was really looking for something that would work well and consistently without a lot of unnecessary features. I didn't need anything big and heavy duty, just something that would work. But I also didn't want something very cheap, that would break or stop working within the year.

For my purposes, this tool is great. The saw is compact and has a grip that conforms well even to my smaller hands. It's well balanced, which keeps the saw going where I want it to be. As I'm not a professional, having any help keeping cuts straight is a great help.

The tool cuts cleanly and quickly, with almost no effort on my part. There is a small blower which keeps wood bits out of line of sight, which makes the entire experience easier. I've used it on hollow metal doors as well as many kinds of wood. I've used it on lumber as well as to break down small trees growing in the yard. No matter what I've tried to cut, it has managed to get through it with little effort.

Blades change quickly and fit tightly. The Makita blades are decent but the Bosch ones are excellent and fit just as snugly.

Though the saw doesn't have as much power as a corded one, it works extremely well for my purposes.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 29,766 times
Thumbs up Thank you

Hi reviewer.
Just wanted to thank you for your review.
I am currently using a Ryobi (had positive experience with a stand sander, a grinder and a cordless shrub trimmer, thought it would be a good idea to have the *** saw. Those mentioned tools were a very good value for the money, and since my needs were not professional/heavy duty user, those were more than great for me). But when my DeWalt older hammer drill's battery died, I had to consider the best quality, so when I saw the 18 Volt LXT Lithium-Ion 2-Piece Combo Kit (hammer drill+ impact driver) was on sale at Home Depot (+ 10% off coupon), that was a GREAT deal and I didn't hesitate. (BTW, it was about a year ago and every second I used those- and I use them A LOT, I blessed the moment I decided to buy them).
When the *** saw's time came to be used it disappointed me (blade kept jumping off the tool and it was pretty weak).
Since I have now the charger and 2 batteries I was considering the Makita *** saw to replace the Ryobi and you just answered all the questions I had about it.
So, again... Thank you!
Saul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews