Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 03:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Meade TeleStar NG-60 Refracting Telescope

meade-telestar-ng-60-refracting-telescope photo
Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

We purchased this telescope to give our younger children a closer view of the stars and planets, and to have the added ease of allowing the computer to do most of the work, which is wonderful when you have a group of kids that are jumping around and waiting impatiently. We have used it for many things including just viewing wild life in our back yard, it allows us to get nice and close without having to worry if the noise from the kids is going to spook them. The telescope contains an achromatic objective lens with an aluminum tube assembly, rack and pinion focuser, 5x24 viewfinder with rubber eyecup, two additional eyepieces, aluminum tripod and accessory tray. The tripod is fairly stable but made of aluminum so it will bed and loosen easily. As well as my favorite feature the Meade StarNavigator PC-compatible locating software with a database with over 10,000 celestial objects stored. With this inexpensive telescope you can view all of the major planets except Pluto (last I heard Pluto wasn't a planet). You have no problem see Saturn, Mars, Venus although they look like little colored dots. The moon its craters and mountain ranges when it is not shadowed. Star clusters are easily visible and the constellations look amazing. Check out Orion's knee especially if you have kids participating they will be in awe. This telescope is an easy way for kids to learn how to use a telescope as well as the solar system and the space around us. For this price you couldn't ask for better optics on a clear night. Now if you are truly into telescopes and want to see Saturn's rings and moons fault lines I would recommend you purchase a more expensive telescope.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,978 times
Default Best telescope on the market place, what type to get?

Hi there folks i'm considering to buy a brand new telescope i explored all over [url]www.city-data.com[/url] but i found practically nothing, do you have any kind of suggestions on which telescope i should invest on? any good reviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews