Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Planon Systems Solutions DocuPen RC800 Portable Scanner

planon-systems-solutions-docupen-rc800-portable-scanner photo
Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

When I purchased a new computer and discovered that my outdated scanner's software was missing, and that the company who made it no longer produced drivers for such an old model, I contemplated what I should do about the massive photo and document scanning project I was undertaking in my quest to digitize and backup important images and documents for preservation. Although I would later decide on a nicely priced flatbed scanner, I also decided to purchase a handheld wand scanner so that I could scan fragile photos and letters, as well as bring with me on visits to relative who also had photographs and images I would like a copy of but would not likely be able to borrow to scan.

The local Best Buy had several types of portable scanners in stock. The model I bought was the Planon Systems Solutions DocuPen RC800 Portable Scanner. I was a bit apprehensive, having never used one of these before and fearing that an unsteady hand might make using the device difficult. In honesty, the device did take some getting used to. However, after some practice, I got the hang of it and began to appreciate its features and portability. Once you become familiar with the few functions, the device is actually very easy to operate. If you are unsteady when you scan, the device will give you an error message and so you can just redo the image.
The device operates on standard AA batteries, although I got some rechargeable batteries to use in mine to cut down on the number I use. The device comes with a carrying pouch to protect the scanning underside from nicks and scratches. It can scan in both grayscale and color and has a 300x300 dpi resolution which is not quite as crisp as flatbed or desktop scanners, but perfectly serviceable for a portable device. Images are stored on a microSD card and the device can be connected via microUSB to a computer. The computer recognizes the device as an external USB drive, do it's unlikely any drivers will be needed. Mine did not need drivers. Images are saved in jpeg format for space considerations.

Although the resulting image might not be as high quality as flatbed scanners, when you are on the go and in need of document or image scanning, the device is perfectly useable. It is also more expensive, selling for $290, than a similar wand scanner model by Brother, the DS mobile scanner, which sells for $130. The unit is solidly built and lightweight and does not feel cheaply made at all. The performance can vary based on the steadiness of the user, but if a flat surface is used and the person moves the device slowly enough over the document, there shouldn't be any real hardship to using the device. I am enjoying mine.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews