Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

2007 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback 5-Speed

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

The 2007 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback five-speed drives fluidly with an effortless steering response. Definitely not highly rated as a performance vehicle, the Accent could surprisingly beat a performance vehicle in fun factor. The five-speed manual transmission Accent shifts and corners like a performance vehicle, while the compact size increases the feeling of performance.

With the 2007 MSRP price point starting at $10,995, the Hyundai Accent delivers the fun ride of a performance vehicle in a small, cheap package. Beyond the effortless steering and fluid driving, however, the Accent offers little else in the way of performance. Driving over rough highways produces a very uncomfortable, bumpy ride. Even the steering wheel is difficult to hold onto on rough highways; the steering wheel vibrates beyond an acceptable comfort level. However, normal, smooth roads produced a very smooth ride.

Though the five-speed model accelerates more quickly than the automatic transmission model, which tops out at four speeds, neither would be considered a quick accelerator. I have accelerated at an acceptable level in the Hyundai Accent, but certainly not at a performance level. However, I did test drive both a 2005 automatic transmission Elantra and the 2007 five-speed before deciding on the five-speed. The performance of the newer vehicle was much higher; the five-speed accelerated much more quickly. Also, a very noticeable difference between the two years/styles; the headliner in the 2007 Accent was very noticeably superior to the 2005 Elantra's headliner: the exterior noise was drastically decreased in the Accent

Through a slightly above-normal three-year usage period of 44,000 miles, my 2007 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback five-speed has performed better than expected. I have not had many issues with the vehicle, and I tested it thoroughly: hitting a deer, driving fifty miles on a torn-up highway, accelerating quickly, braking quickly, beginning on steep inclines, etc. When I braked to avoid hitting the deer, the car braked quickly, and I hit the deer at only ten or fifteen miles per hour. Thankfully, I did not test the airbags, but I did test the impact. The car crumpled in the front, as designed, to avoid engine damage, and I was able to drive away from the accident.

With the effortless steering, shifting and cornering, I rate the 2007 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback five-speed a four out of five for performance. Even considering the rough ride on rough roads and the slower acceleration, the 2007 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback five-speed performs very well for its class.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews