Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Wagner Power Painter Max with Optimus

wagner-power-painter-max-with-optimus photo
Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Some of the painters I spoke with recently were using airless spray guns for areas that were hard to get to or for jobs that were too small to bother with their regular spray rigs. I hadn't used one of them in years. There were some home painting jobs I was going to do while I was between assignments, so I decided to look at the types available.

Wagner has been around so long that I looked over the models available at the local hardware store where I do business. The Power Painter Max was a little less than the MSRP of $99.99, and it was advertised as being for decks, fences, small houses, and all the projects that I usually do when there's time.

The Optimus Dual Tip Technology sounded like something that would be an improvement over some other sprayers, so I took the plunge.

The first project I tackled was the second story window shutters. I took all of them down and arranged a place where I could spray one side of all of them at once. Before I actually sprayed any shutters, I tested the spray on a sheet of scrap plywood until I was comfortable with how the sprayer worked.

I had the ability to pull the paint out of the can with the long hose, but decided to work just with the 1.5 quart cup on the sprayer to start out. I played with the spray tip a good bit on the first shutter, and then left it alone as I finished off all the shutters. The first thing I noticed was that the airless sprayer is still not like the one I had been using with my compressor.

While the Wagner is a definite improvement over painting with brush and roller, it is not like using a standard sprayer with compressed air. With some practice I was able to get a fairly smooth coat of paint on the shutters, but there was a lot of drips and splatters that took away from the professional look I was hoping to achieve.

The speed control was not an important feature to me. Whatever speed I used didn't make much difference on the outcome of the work. I kept a brush with me to smooth out any splatters that came out of the nozzle. If you are using a regular sprayer, I would not recommend this airless for you.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews