Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

RUUD Model RRMA A048JK10E Air Conditioning Unit

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

This is a 2004 RUUD model no. RRMA A048JK10E, 4 ton, 100,000 BTU/HR (KW) unit. RUUD is made by Rheem Air Conditioning Division, Fort Smith, Arkansas.

This is plenty of cooling and heating for our 2200 square foot home. We live in the south central region of the USA. This means that we usually have four distinct seasons. Fall and spring are normally very moderate and there is little need for either heat or air conditioning. Our summers tend to get very hot and our winters are very cold. These are the seasons when this RUUD gets a work out.

We have had no trouble at all with the air conditioning in the summer. The RUUD kept our home comfortable and the inside temperature stable. However, heating is another matter. Just when the weather began to cool this year (2010), the unit stopped working. The heat exchanger tubes had rusted and were cracked and crumbling. These had to be replaced or we would have no heat for the winter.

The unit was still under warranty so, thankfully, the part which is around $600 did not cost us anything. Luckily, I have a husband who knows how to fix most anything or the labor to put it in would have also been around $500 or $600. They do make these heat exchanger tubes in stainless steel, which would last at least as long as the warranty. So, I really do not understand why this is not standard on all of their units.

Overall, I would say that RUUD has a decent product in this air conditioning unit. However, I believe it could be much better and more cost efficient for the company it they used better parts. For this reason, I can only give the RUUD unit a mediocre score.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 26, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews