Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Okidata 3400N Color Printer

Rating: 2 out of 5
  • Currently 2.0/5.0

The Okidata 3400N color printer isn't the best color printer on the market, but it doesn't claim to be either. It is one of the lower priced laser printers in its class. I looked at a Brother first, but felt better staying with a name I had used in the past.

I have compared the color prints with Xerox prints, and the Oki has as good a print using the same source. It's relatively fast, at least for what my needs are. We use it at home and network with two other computers. I can set it to print black and white without having to reset it each time I print, which is something I like when I'm not printing items for publication.

One problem I have had is the thickness of some paper. I have some picture quality prints I have managed to produce that didn't give me any problems, but others have jammed and wasted expensive paper. I have not been able to find what it is I could be doing wrong, and believe this is a problem with this brand of printer.

Color prints are expensive if you plan to do a lot of them, and it's not dependable either with the jamming problem. Printing on standard paper doesn't cause much of a problem.

I won't say that the 3400 is a complete bust, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who will be printing a great volume either. My use might be one hundred pages per day, or no more than 1500 per month. Probably, a black and white printer would be better for most of my work and cheaper than the $300+ I paid for this printer.

Because it is a color printer and that is where I have the most problems, I have to rate this printer two out of five, and do not recommend it for anyone doing color publishing work.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews