Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Brother PS3700 Pacesetter Sewing Machine

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

Sewing machines are one of those types of product that usually delivers according to the price you pay for it. That is certainly true of the Brother Pacesetter. With a MSRP of about $400, that puts this machine into the mid-quality of those that are not computerized. One of the best features of the machine is its ease of use that makes it a great choice for a beginner even though it has lots of features.

The Pacesetter has an easy threading system, too as well as a fast bobbin winding feature. Once of the most difficult things to do with any machine is to make buttonholes and those on the Pacesetter are also easy and fast while they aren't always 100% perfect. There is only one style of buttonhole stitch but it does offer automatic sizing. It also features 37 different built-in stitches so there is no limit to what you can do from sewing all types of fabrics to using a decorative stitch to give a fashionable look to your craft projects.

If you like to quilt, there are two quilting feet included along with an extension table and a quilting guide. There is a convenient storage place underneath where you can keep extra feet, bobbins, or your seam ripper but don't count on keeping all of your accessories in this small area.

Some of the stitching options that I use the most frequently on my Brother Pacesetter are the reinforcement and reverse stitches and the zigzag in different widths that I use to finish seams. Since I make some children's clothing, the free arm is also valuable since it allows me to get to the seams on small garments.

While the machine works great on sheer fabrics, it isn't the best choice for working with knits or for very heavy fabrics. Before choosing the Brother Pacesetter, it is a good idea to consider what types of fabrics you are likely to be sewing and how many features you really need. If you rely mostly on the straight and zigzag stitches, there are less expensive machines with fewer features that are just as good a quality as the Pacesetter. Although it is a good tool for the beginner to learn on and to experiment with a variety of stitches, I have found that it isn't the best choice to use for a diversity of projects or for a large quantity of sewing.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews