Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Emerson 1100W Microwave with grill MWG9111SL

emerson-1100w-microwave-with-grill-mwg9111sl photo
Rating: 2 out of 5
  • Currently 2.0/5.0

When I purchased my new microwave, there were two features that mattered most to me. First, I wanted it to have more power than the microwave I had previously owned and, second, I wanted to have the option of using a toaster or grill function as well. The Emerson 1100W Microwave Oven With Grill had both of those features at a reasonable price, so I purchased one.

The microwave is designed with a sleek stainless steel exterior that I also liked much better than the white cabinet of the old microwave. Once I hooked it up, I went to work to set the clock. I don't know how many times I followed the instructions in the manual before I finally got lucky and the clock started working.

The cooking options are for one and ten minutes as well as one and ten seconds which makes it a little less convenient to set in some cases. For instance, to leave something cooking for nine minutes, you have to hit the one minute button nine times instead of having a number pad to program the cook time. The defrost option, on the other hand, is an improvement over the old model since you can choose to time defrost or program in the weight of what you are defrosting.

The next trial came when I decided to put the grilling option to the test. The grill consists of a metal rack that is to be place in the center of the oven. Unfortunately, that is as far as I got before I was lost at how to use this option. The User's Manual tells you that you can grill food, it just doesn't tell you how to do it. I tried to grill a piece of chicken but the oven never seemed even start to get it warm. I took the grill out of the microwave and haven't put it back inside.

As for the increase in power to 1100W from the 900W of my previous microwave, it did cook my food faster in the beginning. Now, if something is in the oven for more than a minute, it starts to overheat and shuts itself off until it cools. Also, the rotating base that the tray sits on has started to rust, as have some areas of the oven, after a short period of use.

What started as a unique purchase in a microwave has turned into a disappointment because the special feature, the grill, is not usable. Due to the power issues, it will have to be replaced.

Review by professional reviewer, Sep. 1, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews