Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

As an experienced amateur photographer I chose the Canon Eos 7D because of its near professional standard of build and performance. My photography consists mostly of landscape work which means my cameras have to withstand being jostled around in a camera bag and in the trunk of my car. The rugged build of this Canon is very reassuring in this respect, and, although it is heavy, you feel that if you drop it, it will come to no harm.

The Canon's 18 megapixel sensor gives all the resolution that you need to produce poster size prints or to enlarge small areas of an image without losing any detail. Another area where the Canon scores is in its ability to give exceptional quality in low light levels. This has always been an aspect where "crop" cameras such as the Eos 7D have lagged behind the full frame SLRs. Not anymore! This new camera gives low light images which are as devoid of noise as the best of them.

I am also very impressed with the "intelligent" viewfinder of this Canon. It gives a 100% view and is extremely bright and clear but what sets it apart for me is the capability of hiding all of the exposure and other details so that you can concentrate on the actual scene. And, for a landscape photographer, the EOS 7D has a feature named Dual Axis Electronic Level and tilt display that helps you to get a horizon that is level. This facility can be viewed either on the LCD or through the viewfinder.

With the 28-135mm lens attached the autofocus system is fast, smooth and very quiet. It is also very accurate. Linked to the autofocus system is the new and impressive 63 zone dual-layer metering system. This is another advanced feature that enables the photographer to concentrate on framing the scene and leaving the technicalities to the camera. In practice this new exposure system works well, especially in low light situations.

One aspect of the Canon 7d that I haven't used much is the movie making facility. The specification for making movies is very advanced and should enable the taking of professional quality videos. My initial impressions of this feature are that it is a huge advance on previous cameras at this price.

This new Canon camera is great choice for a photographer who wants a professional quality camera without the high price tag. It isn't exactly cheap, of course, but it does offer tremendous value for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews