Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 (585.00)

irobot-roomba-discovery-4210-58500 photo
Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 is a great little machine. I love the fact that its takes on one of my household duties at the click of a button. The Roomba Discovery vacuums the floors, it senses, finds and picks up dirt, what's great it is adjusts automatically to any surface, from carpet, to the tile with no problem or resetting. It also works on wood and linoleum as well. It does leave spots in the corner at times; it's just too hard for the round machine to get into the corners. When it finishes it automatically returns to its "Home Base" where it begins recharging by itself. Typically with each charge the Advance Power Supply can hold a charge of up to 120 minutes, on carpet I would say just above an hour and a half before it needs to re-dock and charge. The Roomba can recharge completely in about 3 hours. As with most iRobots the discovery has stair-avoidance system and the virtual-wall units making cleaning only one particular area easy. The Discovery has 4 cleaning cycle options or modes clean, spot, max and standard. I find the max mode to work best at our home; we have children who are constantly in and out of the house as well as a cat and a dog. This mode picked up almost all of the animal hair in the carpet and left the carpet very clean. I was impressed. This is not our only or first iRobot, we also have the Scooba , we are happy with both products ,but found that the batteries seem to be the main problem on both products. They tend to lose a charge after they age and need to be replaced more often than we would like. Other parts are easy to order like the filters and I don't find them unreasonably priced. Well worth my money, because it saves me time!

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 20, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,201 times
I have a still working 9 year old iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 robot vacuum. Ready for the story!

In 2005 I bought a refurbished iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 kit for $200.00 that included everything but a Home Dock. To this day I clean it after every run and every couple months I disassemble it completely and clean and lubricate everything inside of it. So far all I had to do is rebuild the battery pack once and replace the air filter once in the last 9 years. Here is the other stuff I bought for it over time as well. A $60.00 kit off of Kijiji that included a new yellow APS battery, a dead black Standard Ni-Cd battery to be rebuilt in to a APS battery later, a APS AC Adapter and a Home Dock. 2X 3 piece 400 series Air Filter kits, 12 pieces 1.2V 3000mAh NiMH cells to rebuild the original battery pack. And also a 700 series Maintenance kit that includes a main brush (fits perfectly), 3X 3 legged side brushes (fits perfectly), beater brush (did not fit, but after a slight mod to the beater brush it now fits perfectly) and 6X 700 series filters (does not fit so I tossed them). My grand total for everything over 9 years is $470.90. That includes:
$200.00 for the iRobot 4210 refurbished kit
$60.00 for the Home Dock, yellow new APS battery, dead black Standard Ni-Cd battery and APS AC Adapter
$44.99 for the 700 series Maintenance Kit
2X $7.99 for the 2X 3 piece 400 series Air Filter kits
all taxes as well.

The robot still is running like new after 9 years. I would say I am getting my monies worth out of it!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,318 times
seems good, I would like to get one, what's price of iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 now, and where did you get it?

Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 AM

Unfortunately the iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 was discontinued in 2007. I bought mine in 2005 as a refurbished unit from a second hand store called XS Cargo (now deceased). You may be able to find some of this model series still on ebay or Kijiji. But parts and supplies are becoming scarce for this model series. I have enough on hand parts and supplies to keep my 4210 running for a couple more years unless some part breaks that I do not have and cannot get a replacement. I guess then I will have to buy a modern unit to replace it. I did recently buy a Rollitech Rollibot Black BL618 for my kitchen. It has a good vacuum system and two side brushes and a UV Lamp but no roller brushes so it is only good for hard floors like in my kitchen. I bought it on sale at Canada Computers for $229.00 plus taxes last month and it works perfectly for my needs.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
I have a Neato that I love, but we recently moved and we now have shaggy carpet. It can't handle the carpet. I'm wondering if a Roomba would do better.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM

I have a medium pile shag carpet and my iRobot Roomba 4210 Discovery handles it perfectly. It actually cleans better then my canister vacuum.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
looks pretty bad and ugly

Old 04-13-2016, 06:18 AM

Obviously Carthy you know nothing about form over function. Also it is not as ugly as some of it's hideous competitors that add useless leds and ugly fluorescent colors.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josen View Post
seems good, I would like to get one, what's price of iRobot Roomba Discovery 4210 now, and where did you get it?

I buy my Roomba 400 series vacuums on eBay. The refurbished ones are called the 4000 series and they work just as well as they did when they were brand new. I've bought several for myself and several more for friends and family members. I like the refurbished 4000 series much better than any of the newer models.

Here's a sample of what's available on eBay. This Discovery 4210 is $99.99 and is available from a seller with excellent ratings. It needs a battery but I also buy my batteries on eBay at a very good price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iRobot-Roomb...YAAOSww3tY4aoO

And here's a really good deal. This one is $129.98 and does have a battery. The seller has excellent reviews too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iROBOT-ROOMB...YAAOSwdGFY3ZV3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews