Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Dyson DC17 Asthma & Allergy Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

The problem with me is I suffer from asthma. Even if I stay home all the time I suffer from breathing problems. I gathered that my house was not being cleaned properly and while I regularly vacuum clean my rooms, I am not being able to get rid of the allergy triggers and I am suffering because of those. I decided to replace my vacuum cleaner. I started to do some research on what is available.

I have heard much hype about the Dyson DC17 vacuum cleaner. I have also heard that this appliance gets rid of potential allergic triggers, for example, pollen, mold spores, pet dander, second hand smoke and the House Dust Mite as well. There are millions of these thriving on my soft furnishings, carpets and particularly on the mattresses. Before I tried out Dyson, I tried out Kirby for a 30-day home trial. It was an amazing appliance but it was way above my budget.

I found the Dyson DC17 vacuum cleaner to be the best available within the budget I had. I was almost free from breathing problem within a few days after using this cleaner. The cleaning power and suction is amazing and I am amazed to find what comes off the floors when I have them cleaned with this cleaner. It is just unbelievable! When cleaning the house, I always use the attachments that came along with the vacuum cleaner. I use the circular attachment to clean the windows and there is one fabric attachment which I use to clean the sofas and curtains. The HEPA filter helps to take away that "musty and dusty" odor and keeps the air fresh as ever. The adapters are indeed helpful.

There are a few things which I noticed which are not so great with Dyson DC17. I noticed that the musty smell from my two dogs still remaining even after washing the filter. This becomes obvious when I run the cleaner. I found that it becomes difficult to push the cleaner on rugs, and even the brush agitator shuts down if I try to push and pull the cleaner harder on the rugs.

Now about the canister on the handle. The canister is not big enough to hold as much as the bag provided with the cleaner. Because of this, I found that I need to empty it 2 to 3 times in one cleaning of my house instead of once or twice a month. None-the-less this cleaner has reduced my breathing problem to a great extent.

I had paid $450 for the Dyson DC17 vacuum cleaner and what I feel that it can very well compare with Oreck and Kirby, the ultimate cleaning machines of the world.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews