Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

Canon 7D

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

The Canon 7D is Canon's flagship "prosumer" crop-sensor camera. It is aimed at serious hobbyists and semi-professional photographers, but I have found it to be more than adequate for my photography business. As a professional photographer, I shoot a wide variety of subjects, from weddings to day care centers, events to sports, and I the versatility of the 7D is perfect for my needs. While the 18 megapixel images aren't as large as the full-framed 5D MkII or 1D MkIV, the advantage gained by those bodies is negated by the additional cost of moving up the line. The 7D even beats out the 5D MkII in several arenas, such as frames per second of continuous shooting. The 7D boasts an impressive 8FPS, while the 5D MkII is constrained to 3.5FPS. The reason for this is the Dual DIGIC 4 processors in the 7D. The sensor is also capable of incredible low-light performance. I upgraded to the 7D from a 5-year-old 20D, and I was able to easily quadruple the ISO levels to shoot in low light without introducing more grain. This is key for event and wedding photographers, where they might not always be able to use a flash indoors. The large, 3-inch screen on the back is bright and very easy to see, while Canon's scroll-wheel interface remains the easiest to use of any brand I've ever tried. The viewfinder gives 100% coverage, eliminating shots that turn out with a different crop than originally viewed, and the 19-point auto-focus system is fast and generally very accurate to what I'm trying to capture. I have been consistently happy with the results from my 7D, and highly recommend it to anyone looking in its price range. The price for the body is $1,699 MSRP.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews